Cool Places to Visit in Milledgeville

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Whether you are an incoming freshman looking for ways to explore your new home or a senior sick of what you already know, there are a lot of hidden gems in Milledgeville, Georgia.

Old Governors Mansion

Before Atlanta was the capital of Georgia, Milledgeville was the functioning capital from 1804 to 1868. Although the state legislature has been long gone the old mansion is still open for tours. You can visit the historic mansion on Tuesday – Saturday from 10 – 4 and on Sundays from 2 – 4. There is a one tour every hour.

Address: 120 S Clarke St, Milledgeville, GA 31061

Central State Hospital

One of the darker monuments located in Milledgeville is Central State Hospital, which once functioned as the world’s largest asylum. Central State opened its door in 1842 under the name Georgia State Lunatic, Idiot, and Epileptic Asylum. What once started off as a place of hope with effective and humane treatments quickly became over populated. In fact, by 1960 there were 12,000 patients there. It wasn’t until 1959 that an expose came out bringing to light that only 48 of the doctors working there were actually psychiatrists. In the 1960’s and 1970’s they began deinstitutionalizing the facility. Although the buildings may not be open to tour, students are welcome to walk around and explore. Additionally, there is a museum preserving artifacts from Milledgeville’s dark past. If you are looking for an adrenaline rush then search for the cemetery with some of unmarked graves of the over 250,000 people who died there.

Address: 2450 Vinson Highway Milledgeville, GA 31062

Andalusia

Recently gifted to Georgia College is Andalusia. From 1951 until her death in 1964, Flannery O’Connor, one of America’s greatest authors, lived on Andalusia Farm where she worked on her novel and wrote short stories. Now the farm has reopened as a museum commemorating the late, great author. Andalusia is currently closed for restoration but will be reopening soon.

Address: 2628 N Columbia St, Milledgeville, GA 31061-8763

Oconee River Greenway

For the outdoorsy residents of Milledgeville, the Greenway is a walking, jogging, and biking trail located along the Oconee river. Also located there is a dog park if you want to let your dog roam free while enjoying the sounds of the river rushing by you. For those who are feeling more adventurous, those who own a kayak can kayak along the river and enjoy the serene sounds of nature.

Address: 420 E Greene St, Milledgeville, GA 31061

ARF

If you are in need of volunteer hours or if you just really miss your pets at home, volunteers are needed at the Animal Rescue Foundation. Although the responsibilities of volunteering there do include unfavorable things like cleaning cages and giving baths, there are still opportunities to do more fun activities like walking the dogs and playing with cats. ARF is open Monday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from 11 AM to 2 PM.

Address: 711 S Wilkinson St, Milledgeville, GA 61061