This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

We might be about 859 miles from New York City, but that’s no reason to miss out on the biggest and best musicals! Broadway Atlanta recently released the musicals coming to the Fabulous Fox Theatre in Atlanta in 2018-2019, and I’ve got the scoop on the stellar lineup as well as a few song suggestions to help you become as obsessed as I am. 

1. Aladdin: September 12-23

Magical lamps, genies, and, yes, flying carpet rides (Yeah, I don’t know how they do it either)! Aladdin is the animated Disney movie we all know and love translated onto the stage. This show has all the songs you grew up belting in your room and some new ones you’ll love too! 

Song suggestions: “A Million Miles Away” and “Friend Like Me”

Image via Jack Miller’s Disney Wiki

2. School of Rock: October 16-21

Remember that Jack Black movie where he teaches a group of kids how to rock so they can win the battle of the bands competition? Well, now it’s a boppin’ musical! 

Song suggestions: “When I Climb to the Top of Mountain Rock” and “You’re in the Band”

Image via Broadway San Diego

3. White Christmas: November 27- December 2

White Christmas is the perfect musical to kick off the Christmas season! This show is based on the 1954 movie of the same name, featuring Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Danny Kaye, and Vera-Ellen. Two performers try to help an old Army friend by bringing their show to his Vermont inn! It’s one of my favorite Christmas movies of all time, and I know it will be one of yours too! 

Song suggestions: “The Best Things Happen When You’re Dancing” and “Snow” (Oh, yeah… And Irving Berlin’s “White Christmas”)

Image via San Diego Theater

4. Waitress: February 5-10, 2019

Based on a movie of the same name, Sara Bareilles’ Waitress tells the story of Jenna, a waitress and pie baking expert, who struggles to escape from her small town and abusive husband. You will laugh, cry, and want to make a pie to solve all your problems after seeing this show!

Song suggestions: “Opening Up” and “She Used to Be Mine” (Bonus Song!: “Bad Idea”)

Image via Playbill

5. Les Misérables: February 26- March 3, 2019

Les Misérables is a story of love, redemption, hope, and what happens when you steal a loaf of bread in 19th century France…. You will cry exactly 24601 tears, and you’ll love it.

(Also, fair warning, there is no talking. Only singing. It’s wonderful.)

Song suggestions: “Red & Black” and “One Day More” (Honestly, I want to suggest every song.)

Image via Durham Performing Arts Center

6. Dear Evan Hansen: April 23-28, 2019

When a high school boy’s letter to himself gets mistaken for his classmate’s suicide note, let’s just say things escalate quickly. This musical is worth the hype. Oh, and did I mention it won Best Musical in the 2017 Tony Awards? 

Song suggestions: “Waving Through A Window” and “You Will Be Found” (Bonus Song!: “Only Us”)

Image via Playbill Store

7. Come From Away: June 25-30, 2019

Come From Away tells the little known story of an airport in Newfoundland, Canada, that received 38 rerouted jets after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. It’s an incredible story of generosity and extreme kindness in the face of a horrible disaster. If you’d like to know more about the history behind the show you can read it here! 

Song suggestions: “Welcome To The Rock” and “Blankets And Bedding” (Bonus Song!: “Me And the Sky”)

Image via Jewel 98.5 FM

8. Cats: August 6-11, 2019

Chances are you’ve heard about Cats and know it as the musical with the people dressed as cats, and there’s that one song about the memories and the moonlight. You’re right! You got it! This musical is about a group of cats who are gathering for the Jellicle Ball where they will choose one cat to be reborn. It’s kind of a weird premise, but you gotta love those cats. 

Song suggestions: “Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats” and “Memory” (Surprise, surprise)

Image via Newsday

Elizabeth is a Senior Creative Writing major at GCSU. She loves all things Disney and is always prepared to pet any puppy that walks her way. When she isn’t writing, you can probably find her watching old movies, belting showtunes, or listening to her latest podcast obsession. Follow Elizabeth on Instagram and Twitter @lizzy4liz