jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Decorate for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Now that Halloween is over it’s time to say goodbye to the spooky nights of candy, costumes, and ghost stories, and hello to the chilly evenings of falling leaves, turkeys, and food!

GIF via tenor

But after taking down the cobwebs and tossing out the pumpkins, you might not be sure how to prepare your house for the next big holiday. Don’t worry! I’m here to help.

Here are 5 ways to decorate your home for Thanksgiving:

1. Put pinecones everywhere!

Bonus points if they’re scented. There’s just something about pinecones that smell like cinnamon that means it’s officially fall and makes you want to snuggle on the couch watching A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. Put ’em in a bowl, on the dining room table, or just anywhere! Maybe put them together in an O shape and hang it on your door as if to say, “Oh! Happy Thanksgiving neighbors!”

Photo via Target

2. Use fall colors like reds, oranges, and yellows!

Decorate with reds, oranges, and yellows to make your house look as ready for fall as the leaves on the trees outside! Want to add a little shine? Buy some of this shiny colored foil and put it on the mantel or stair railing for that fun pop of fall color! 

Photo via Walmart

3. Hang up some Thanksgiving socks! 

Tired of the traditional cornucopia on the table? Aren’t we all. Instead, try hanging up some large socks by the fireplace to store your gourds and other miscellaneous fruits and vegetables. 

Photo via Zazzle

4. Bring the nature inside!

Fall is all about feeling the weather changing and watching as the leaves fall from the trees. Connecting with nature is a huge part of the season! The pinecones were a little nature, but you know what would bring even more fall into your home? A WHOLE TREE! Go out and cut down a tree and bring it into your living room. Your whole family will love your new Thanksgiving tree!

Photo via jennandbriankinard

5. Add some lights!

Depending on how tall your Thanksgiving tree is, it might be a good idea to add some more lights to the house to keep it bright and cheerful. The extra lights will also create a warm glow for those cozy fall nights! I suggest getting some string lights. Maybe even put them right on the tree if you’re feeling adventurous! 

Photo via King of Christmas

Hopefully these tips will help you get ready for everyone’s favorite holiday that comes after Halloween: Thanksgiving! 

With the festive tinsel, stockings, tree, and lights you should be ready to… 

Oh. 

Well, this is embarrassing. Tinsel, stockings, trees, and lights are all things people use to decorate for Christmas too… In that case, sorry Thanksgiving! 

GIF via Giphy

DECK THE HALLS!

IT’S CHRISTMAS TIME Y’ALL!!! 

Elizabeth is a Senior Creative Writing major at GCSU. She loves all things Disney and is always prepared to pet any puppy that walks her way. When she isn’t writing, you can probably find her watching old movies, belting showtunes, or listening to her latest podcast obsession. Follow Elizabeth on Instagram and Twitter @lizzy4liz