5 Ways to Decorate with String Lights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

I know it might be cliché, but string lights are cute and no one can tell me differently. In order to enable my growing string light obsession, I’ve gathered a few ways to utilize these fairy twinkle lights as decoration in my apartment. I know there are probably a million more ideas out there, but these examples are ones that I found easy to replicate.

1. First, we have the classic portrait wall. Rather than just sticking your pictures to the wall with scotch tape, why not use a set of string lights? I think this adds to a room without being overbearing and the pictures don’t get ruined. 
  2. Next, we have string lights gathered in a bird cage. I think this looks adorable and provides a dual function if placed on a desk, where it can act as both statement piece and a light fixture.  I’ve seen this work with other objects too, such as glass bottles. (Hint: a great way to recycle those old wine bottles you’ve been collecting) 
  3. Another way to use string lights in your living space would be to drape them around a mirror. You can string them up on a vanity, pictured in the thumbnail of this article, or you can simply drape them on a freestanding mirror. While they’re not meant to provide light in these instances, they do provide a whimsical atmosphere. 
  4. This next one requires serious patience but looks great if you’re willing to put in the effort. If you have a blank, empty space at your place you can manipulate a set of string lights to spell a word. I personally don’t think I have the temperament to pull this off, but it adds to the overall decoration, and even gives your room a theme!
  5. Finally, you can use string lights for their intended purpose, to decorate a tree! To get the most use out of your tree/lights combo all year round, you can wrap them around plain branches. This way, your room now has the appearance of a jungle and you don’t have to struggle to keep anything alive. 

​​I hope you can use some of these ideas in your own apartments! Keep doing you, and don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t live in a fairy realm if you want. 

*All images sourced from Pinterest

Lindsey Poe is a Senior English Literature major, Spanish minor here at Georgia College. She loves coffee, Pinterest, peach rings, House M.D., and late night easy mac. In her free time she enjoys taking naps, reading, crafting, and stalking adoptable dogs online. You can follow her on Instagram @linzpoe.