3 Ways to Get Savvy With Current Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

When in college, it is easy to submerge yourself in your own bubble. While current events may not be at the top of your priority list, it is important to know what is going on in the world if we want to be educated and informed collegiettes. Here are 3 secret ways to get informed about current events (and impress your political science major friend).

1)      The Skimm

The Skimm is a daily email newsletter that comes out Monday through Friday.  The Skimm reads through all the headlines and breaks everything down to a quick and easy read. It comes out every morning, so you can easily read it with your breakfast or between classes. To sign up go to http://theskimm.com/

2)      Facebook Trending Topics

You are already on Facebook, so why not scroll through what is trending? While this may not be the most quality news or method, it can still ease you in to reading the news. The “Trending” area of Facebook can be found on the right side of your Facebook page. Just click  on something you find interesting and then read one or more accompanying article. Then presto—you are now more informed.

3)      Talk about it!

Once you gain a little bit of knowledge through the methods listed above, talk to a friend! If you both make a pact to read up on current events it will be easier.  She may know things that you missed or vice versa.  Just remember to keep the discussion friendly. Not every current event you discuss needs an argument!

I hope you try these tips out and become a more informed collegiette! Impress everyone with your smarts girl! 

Shelby Smith is an English major with a concentration in creative writing at Georgia College & State University. She hopes to write the next great American novel one day while becoming a #girlboss. Shelby loves Pinterest, hedgehogs, organizational supplies, and has a mild obsession with makeup. You can follow her on Instagram @shelbysmilege.