Working on laptop?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Working on laptop?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

Redefining Productivity in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GA Tech chapter.

As this semester comes to an abrupt ending, I’ve started to reflect on how I’ve spent my time here during these past three months. One of the glaring truths is how awkward it’s become to do something other than study. On the countless to-do lists I’ve written down on my bullet journal, I never once put “enjoy time with friends” or “watch my favorite movie.” It seems that along the way, I forgot how to truly savor the time I have outside of class. One of the keywords Georgia Tech throws at us is “productivity” and I’ve only ever seen it defined as revolving around school-related responsibilities. While completing our assignments and being on top of our work can be fulfilling, it’s crucial that we don’t forget that we are more than the daunting checklists on our calendars. 

Recently, I’ve tried to become more aware of how my actions are affecting my mental health. One of the biggest tasks has been to not punish myself for enjoying my free time and to actually disconnect from the fast-paced life I live on campus. I’ve caught myself watching “productive day with me” videos on YouTube in my free time, admiring how other girls my age constantly work hard. What I failed to notice was the equal amount of time they spent enjoying their time off and how they made it a priority to relax. If Rihanna can schedule a whole day off just for her boyfriend, so can I! I’ve started to block off a time after eating at home to just spend more time with my mom and build a stronger bond with her, and while that hasn’t been part of my to-do lists, it’s been a lot more fulfilling to add that to my day. 

Going to a STEM-focused school like Tech sometimes makes it difficult to feel good about not consistently working on school-related tasks. Everywhere I go there are always people talking about how little sleep they get and how many assignments and midterms they have coming up. It’s almost as if productivity has turned into a competition in which our health is compromised. 

It was beautiful to see people just have fun and relax on Tech Green when it wasn’t pouring rain for the first time in weeks. It was the first time I had lunch with a friend and caught up on our personal lives while the sun beamed down on us. I hadn’t felt as productive as I did that day in a while. 

Vanesa Vargas

GA Tech '23

Vanesa is a third-year student at Georgia Tech majoring in Neuroscience with a minor in Biology. Outside of GT, you can find her in QUARANTINE.