This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GA Tech chapter.

If you’ve got a lot of time on your hands, which, let’s be real, most of us do these days, then watching movies can be a great way to pass the time and keep your mind occupied. While theatres are closed, Netflix and Hulu are great alternatives and ways to catch all of your favorites series and movies, all from the comfort of your own home. Here are some of the movies and television shows that I have been watching and recommend.

Little Fires Everywhere – If you love Kerry Washington and Reese Witherspoon or if you’ve already read the book (which I still need to do) then this show is for you. This is based off of the book by Celeste Ng. It follows two women from vastly different worlds, a black mother struggling to make ends meet and a white mother with lots of money, and it shows how their lives become intertwined. New episodes come to Hulu each Wednesday and, good news, the series just started. Watch now before you fall behind! 10/10.

Ozark – If you live shows about money laundering and drug cartels, then Ozark is for you. If you like a show with women who refuse to be pushed over, then, once again, Ozark is for you. Learn about how an accountant’s life is turned upside down when he has to launder money for a cartel and how his family and those around him are often affected by this decision. There are three seasons on Netflix and I even managed to get my grandmother hooked on the show, so I think that says a lot.

Coraline – One of my all time favorite cartoons is Coraline. It used to creep me out, but I can watch it and still go to sleep afterward, now. If you’re a person who lives in an alternate reality, or who would like to live in one, then you may have something in common with Coraline. She and her parents move to a new place, which she’s not too happy about. She wishes she had different parents and, one night, she gets a taste of what life with her perfect parents would look like. However, she realizes it’s all a front to keep her trapped in this alternate world. What I like most about the cartoon is the deeper message of appreciating what you have. Find this gem on Netflix.

High Fidelity – Hulu has brought Zoe Kravitz (everyone’s woman crush) to life in this series. Cool fact, the show came out in 2000 with her mom, Lisa Bonet, as one of the cast members, so I guess they redid the show with Zoe recently. It follows Rob (Zoe), the owner of a record shop as she relives through all of her relationships and why they failed, particularly her last serious relationship with the guy she was to marry. She navigates a new potential romance with a guy who seems to care, while grappling feelings for the guy she was going to marry when he comes back in town with his new boo. If you love music, you’ll likely love the show. I was put on to some new songs throughout the show. Also, if you love relationships and the drama that comes with them, and Zoe (of course), you will enjoy this.

Ex Machina – This week, my friends and I held a Netflix party to watch this movie. It was insane. We all agreed that it did not end the way that we expected it to. We also agreed on the fact that it was the most Georgia Tech movie to watch. If you go to Tech, or a similar school, you will understand upon watching it. If you like black mirror and sci-fi shows like it, then this is a good movie to watch. It definitely messes with your head and leaves you thinking about life afterward. It’s very high tech and follows a man as he helps with testing out this new, very lifelike AI.

Self Made – For all the history nerds and lovers of Octavia Spencer, Netflix has something for you. Follow this limited series through the success of Madam C.J. Walker as she builds her hair business. She’s definitely an ambitious woman, but her ambitions get in the way of other things in her life, like her marriage. The hilarious Tiffany Haddish is in it, and, though her humor is a bit subdued, she still manages to add some hilarity to the limited series.

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist – Again, if you love movies, then you will love this series. It’s a bit of a musical, though. Think Glee to an extent, which is fitting since Alex Newell from Glee is in it. This series follows Zoey, a computer coder, after an unusual event, which blesses (or curses) her with the ability to hear people’s innermost desires through song. The only way to get the song to stop is by helping the person through their problems. It’s definitely an interesting show and there are lots of modern songs that you’d probably know. In addition, we get to see Zoey’s struggles with having feelings for two men and how she navigates life with her family as they watch her dad slowly deteriorate. It’s truly heartfelt and can be found on Hulu.

The Bold Type – One of my favorite shows! It’s on Hulu. If you like female empowerment, this series is full of it. Follow three amazing women as they navigate Scarlet Magazine, relationships, and friendship. It’s LGBT+ friendly and talks about a lot of important issues like race, gender, citizenship and more. You will absolutely LOVE Jacqueline Carlyle (Melora Hardin) and the cast and be left wanting more.

You can thank me later while you’re watching some great movies and series to help you get through quarantine and stay safe while staying home. Also, engage your besties by setting up that Netflix party I mentioned!

My name is Jhazzmyn Joiner. I am a 4th year Literature, Media, and Communication Major at Georgia Tech. I enjoy writing, singing, and stepping in front of the camera sometimes. I was born in Las Vegas, NV (reasons my ig name is SinCity.Records). I enjoy doing things with my non-profit, The Joiner Foundation, Inc. (look us up!!!)