Style

The Growth of Young Black Entrepreneurs in the Beauty & Fashion Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GA Tech chapter.

Since the beginning of quarantine, there has been a surge in Black businesses especially among young entrepreneurs. The pandemic has motivated a lot of people to get creative and find their passion and drive.

In addition, it’s forced some people to find another source of income because of the pandemic and the loss of jobs it’s created. Whether they’re small local businesses or have grown and are on the way to becoming a name brand, there are plenty of outlets to support Black businesses.

Clothing and handbag brands are the first that come to mind. Some lines were made for pure fashion purposes, creating unique, new materials and designs that are different and appealing. There has been the creation of luxury streetwear, different athletic lines, funky accessories, and handbags. Other lines are focused on a message like supporting HBCUs, civil rights leaders, Black arts and raising awareness and donating to movements like Black Lives Matter, women empowerment and so much more.

I personally have bought from a couple of brands like God is Dope and Brandon Blackwood’s handbag line. The quote Brandon puts on his signature bags is, “End Systematic Racism.”

I love how he uses such a small purse to make a big statement. You can’t miss it and I know people see it every time I wear it. It’s amazing how fashion can be used to express yourself and make a statement without saying a word. Clothes can be worn by people to tell the world what is important to them and what needs to be talked about. 

In addition to the fashion industry, there has been a boom in the cosmetology field. Students have turned their dorm rooms into mini hair shops and nail salons, creating a safe environment while offering affordable services. There’s also been a rise of young natural hairstylists. With a lot of women wearing natural styles and maintaining healthy hair, the need for a natural stylist has grown. Especially in times like these, with some stylists increasing their prices, it’s extremely helpful and convenient to have someone close who can do your hair.

It’s fascinating to see the change in just over a decade with hair styles. I remember being in 6th grade and wanting to straighten my hair all the time because that is what everyone else was doing. It was not popular then to rock curly rod sets or a huge puff, so I ended up trying to fit in and damaging my hair along the way. Now, there are more Black women wearing their natural hair and wanting to put the time and care into maintaining it.

My name is Jamiah Campbell. I am a third year student at Georgia Tech and I am studying Industrial Engineering. I enjoy reading and writing, watching sports and going shopping.