galentine\'s day party
galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio

The Effect of Social Media on Gender Reveal Parties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GA Tech chapter.

Gender reveal parties have really cemented their place in American culture, since the concept was introduced back in 2008. Jenna Karvunidis is credited for popularizing gender reveal parties, uploading pictures to her blog of her cutting into a rubber duck cake to reveal the pink frosting in the middle– you guessed it, a girl! 

In the decade since Karvunidis’s modest party blew up online, gender reveal parties have become more outrageous and expensive. From lighting up Ferris wheels in either blue or pink hues to hiring someone to dress up as a large dancing baby (yes, you read that right), it can be agreed upon that gender reveal parties have strayed far from their original intentions of surprising close friends and family with happy news and have become more about the spectacle itself. 

Social media can be blamed for this change in gender reveal parties. A blog made these parties mainstream and today’s obsession with social media has made these personal and wholesome moments into an opportunity to go viral. It seems as though the thought is that the more elaborate and crazy a gender reveal is, the more views it can get. 

This mindset is a very dangerous one. Explosions of pink or blue powder for gender reveal parties have gained popularity in recent years because of this but these kinds of devices that create the explosion can easily malfunction and cause harm, especially when in inexperienced hands. 

In the past two years, enormous wildfires have been accidentally set by expecting parents handling these devices. Countless acres of land were destroyed, as well as homes and habitats. In one instance, a woman was killed by debris from a pipe bomb that was supposed to reveal the gender of a baby. It seems like gender reveal parties are causing more harm than good. 

The creditor of gender reveal parties is now one of the biggest opponents of them. In the past year Karvunidis has publicly spoken out multiple times against these parties. 

In a Facebook post she wrote, “Stop having these stupid parties. For the love of God, stop burning things down to tell everyone about your kid’s penis. No one cares but you.” She makes a very strong point, don’t you think? She also has shown her distaste for the societal consequences that gender reveal parties have on gender roles. When the creator sides against the creation, it’s a sign that enough is enough. 

A debate has started about the future of gender reveal parties after these horrific events. Many people are wondering if gender reveal parties will soon fall out of fashion and become obsolete. These events have opened many people’s eyes to not only the physical damage but also the societal and mental damage that can result from gender reveal parties. 

Gender reveal parties are created with a notion that upholds gender binary. Gender binary is the belief that there are only two genders– a girl or a boy. This can be extremely damaging to the validity of trans people. Gender reveal parties also contribute to the toxic ideas of gender norms and constructs. 

In today’s more open and accepting culture, these beliefs aren’t very popular anymore. People are starting to understand that gender reveal parties can be destructive for the baby and for society.

Hi I'm a second year at Tech and I love sharing my writing with other people :)