This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GA Tech chapter.

Springtime is usually a season of revitalization and new beginnings, a time to come out of the dreariness of winter with anticipation for the new year. However, last year spring was accompanied by sickness, lockdowns and stay-at-home orders. Without places to go, things to do or people to see, most of us slipped into an emotional second winter. Many people, including myself, didn’t even bother with trends in beauty or fashion. However, as this new year brings about hope for an end to the pandemic, this spring may become an opportunity to revitalize ourselves and experiment with new beauty trends.

If one facet for beauty has been greatly obscured because of the pandemic, it is the face. For almost nine months, any outing has warranted covering more than 50% of our face. Though we’re able to personalize our face coverings, acne and skin irritation are often side-effects of daily mask wearing. It is no wonder, then, why many voices in beauty are predicting a trend in a natural look. Forbes interview with Monika Blunder, celebrity make-up artist and founder of Monika Blunder Beauty, revealed “Less is more! It’s all about enhancing one’s natural beauty.”

Beauty blog Harper’s BAZAAR calls for “no-makeup” look and natural eyebrows though not forgoing lipsticks and eye makeup. Along with this, the blog also highlights the importance of a healthy look. A glamourous headshot of Vanessa Hudgens showcases the beauty of supple skin, achieved by hydrating serums and balms.

The lean towards natural tones does not stop at makeup. Good Housekeeping recommends neutral colors for nails with minimum decals for the Spring season. For those looking to lengthen the appearance of their fingers, a skin-tone-matching color with rounded tips can make fingers appear longer. Keeping with the theme of rejuvenation, the pastel florals popular on the runway are expected to spring up on nails as well. This splash of color can accentuate any of the neutral base colors or create an interesting combination with a touch of glitter.

With masks on, beauty can really be concentrated around the eyes. Women’s magazine InStyle calls out to a revamping of several looks from decades gone by. For eyeliner and shadow, the 1960’s geometric eyeliner is expected to make a resurgence. With bright colors and bold lines, the look is striking with or without a mask.

In another vintage look, a full outline of eyeliner harkens back to the 90s and should be accompanied with “nude glossy lips to keep the focus on the eyes”. In another bold look for the eyes, expanding your range in mascara can add a 3-dimensional pop of color. 

As warmer days approach and we begin to spend more time outside, these trends can express our beauty in a way that lets us investigate our past and future through these tough times.

Bailee Jetton

GA Tech '22

Bailee Jetton is currently a 3rd year Literature, Media, & Communication major at Georgia Tech with a major focus in Media and Communications. She developed a passion for writing when she wrote competitively for a school creative writing team before beginning to focus on journalistic writing in her junior year of high school.