This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GA Tech chapter.

Being an adult is hard work. There’s so much to balance, and no one warns you about how overwhelming it can be. Everything is your responsibility, from scheduling doctor’s appointments to getting a job out of school. Yet, there are people you can learn from, and having a mentor or two can help you navigate your career path. Mentors can be academics you admire, former professors, or an old boss. Anyone with relevant career experience can tell you about their experience and walk you through their time in the field. 

Here’s a few tips to begin building a career network: 

1. Pick a variety of mentors. 

Your mentors should reflect some aspect of your future career. Maybe they have your dream job, or they started in the same field as you and ended up somewhere completely different. Either way, it helps to get a variety of mentors with a variety of experiences because it allows you to learn about the versatility of your major. Additionally, look into a mentor with a similar skill set, so that you can learn about multiple revenue streams. Get that side hustle, girl! 

2. Stay in touch. 

Use a spreadsheet and put in names, the place where you met, and when you contacted them last, as well as their contact information if you have it. Mentors should be updated on your life, things you’re doing, and activities you’re involved in about every three months. As a student, you might be asking yourself why these people would be interested in you. And to be fair, some of them aren’t. But almost everyone you admire has been in your shoes before, and they’re equipped with the knowledge to help you. 

3. Remember your manners. 

Send thank you notes. Send holiday cards, if you celebrate anything. Remember birthdays, if you can. 

Mentors like to feel seen and appreciated for their help, and it allows them to brag about you –so don’t be afraid of a little gratitude. Thank you cards are another periodical reminder that keep you at the forefront of someone’s mind. 

4. Keep the logistics clean. 

When you’re a mentee, it helps to keep things clean on your end. That means regularly updating 

LinkedIn, your resume, or portfolio. As a student, it helps to be easy to contact with opportunities if they arise. Also be aware of your presence on social media, as this can impact your relationship. 

5. Use your resources. 

Potential mentors include old professors, and guest speakers you kept in touch with. Check to see if your 

school has a networking website where you can reach out to people in a similar field.

Iman Emdad

GA Tech '23

Iman is a first-year Public Policy major at Georgia Tech. She enjoys reading and listening to Qveen Herby.
Iman is a first-year Public Policy student at Georgia Tech. She enjoys volunteer work, graphic design, and embroidery. Her favorite book is "In the Time of the Butterflies" by Julia Alvarez.