5 Quirky Coffee Shops to Visit Before Getting Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GA Tech chapter.

1. Chattahoochee Coffee Company 

This coffee shop was the first coffee shop I visited when I started school at Tech. It is located in Westside Provisions in West Midtown, which is a short drive from Tech. In addition to the amazing lattes, my favorite thing about this coffee shop is the decor and space. It’s beautiful wooden flooring and furniture, coupled with the animal taxidermy around the shop and on the walls, provide a woodsy aesthetic which was very relaxing to me. It also had a fair amount of seating and tables, which is great for study groups and small meetings. 

2. Octane 

Located in West Midtown as well, Octane is a popular coffee shop for college students and locals who work in Atlanta. When I visited Octane with my small friend group, I was amazed by the unique and fun environment. While my friends and I opted for warm, caffeinated beverages, many of the customers who were of age ordered various alcoholic beverages, so if you’re of age, give it a try! No matter the drink we ordered, all of us were able to unwind from the busyness of school and work to recharge for the day ahead. When I visited the coffee shop, I was having a terrible day, but after an hour unwinding there, I was able to motivate myself to get through the rest of my day. Like octane’s job in gasoline for vehicles, this coffee shop knows how to refuel its customers for the days ahead. 

3. Urban Grind 

Located on Marietta Street, Urban Grind is a cozy coffee shop with amazing decor and seating. They have amazing coffee and espresso-based products, especially mochas! My favorite thing about this coffee place is the fact that it is Black-owned and expresses 

their culture through their decor and events that are hosted through the coffee shop, like Open Mic Poetry and Comedy events. 

4. Just Add Honey 

While this is a tea shop, Just Add Honey is worth the visit. Like Urban Grind, this tea house is Black-owned, and located in the historical district of Sweet Auburn. With its chalkboard walls embellished with honey combs & tea pots, as well as their yellow stools, Just Add Honey greets you with warm arms. I enjoy the variety of tea available for wholesale purchase, and the fact you can smell the tea before purchasing it. I also loved the little gingersnaps served with the tea if you purchase it to drink it at the location. Definitely check it out before you graduate. 

5. Warhorse Coffee Shop 

Concluding this list is a hidden gem located in the Goat Farm Arts Center, which has to be one of my most favorite coffee places to date. Entering the Center, we were immediately greeted with a farm with goats and alpacas we could feed– and pet! Once we got past the farm, my friends and I were able to appreciate the rustic style of the art center, which was a 19th century complex that gave housing and studio space to local artists. After exploring the center, we went to the coffee shop, which had decor matching the rustic style of the entire art center. However, we were unable to take photos of the interior, which made me appreciate the beauty of the coffee shop and the art center. It allowed me to be present with my friends and in the moment, appreciating the beauty of this hidden coffee shop. 

No matter if you visit them to study or to socialize, coffee shops are a way to escape the fast pace of Atlanta and be present emotionally and mentally. And, I’m so excited to try more coffee places to for ways to escape the busy world of Tech.

Mofi Popoola

GA Tech '22

Mofi is a 4th year MSE major from West Georgia. She loves visiting new places, discovering new music, and volunteering around the community.