4 Scary Movies With Scary-Good Lead Actresses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GA Tech chapter.

Halloween season is almost over but there’s still time to watch a horror film or two in between your Zoom classes and socially-distanced hangouts. Here are my top 4 horror movies featuring killer lead-actresses playing their characters so well you’ll want to cheer them on. 

1. Lupita Nyong’o as Adelaide Wilson / Red – Us (2019)

Traditional horror movies don’t usually make the cut for critical acclaim but Us is a rare exception. Based on the trailer alone, the film was destined for success. A haunting remix of “I Got 5 On It”, a black nuclear family parented by Lupita Nyong’o and Winston Duke, fight scenes with demonic doppelgangers and creator Jordan Peele were a recipe for a great film. The story telling, metaphors and mind-bending twist at the very end do an excellent job of leaving viewers reeling as the credits roll but Nyong’o’s performance as Adelaide and her doppelganger, ‘Red’ is truly extraordinary. I recommend watching this film twice to grasp just how intricate Nyong’o’s acting actually is. The first time to watch her play two drastically different characters simultaneously and the second time to catch all of the small pieces of evidence that something isn’t quite right. 

If you’re in a spooky mood but hate how bad horror films can be, Us is a must-watch.

1. Megan Fox as Jennifer – Jennifer’s Body (2009)

If you’re not afraid of a bad horror movie, look no further. What Jennifer’s Body lacks in critical acclaim, it makes up for in irreverent one-liners and that loveable tackiness of the late 2000s. Sure, it may have been released during a time that young girls hated Megan Fox (only because the internet told us to) but it’s so much fun to watch her play a sassy cheerleader reborn as a demon. It’s okay to even be a little bit jealous as Jennifer uses her new powers to gleefully eat one sleazy boy after another. This movie might have flopped in ’09 but there are good reasons why it’s a cult classic now. 

If you’re looking for a funny Halloween movie to watch with friends, try Jennifer’s Body. 

1. Florence Pugh as Dani – Midsommar (2019)

Social media favorite Florence Pugh seems to have emerged out of thin air in 2019 with three smash hits – Fighting with My Family, Little Women and the horror sensation that is Midsommar. Pugh plays Dani, who after losing both of her parents has no choice but to follow her useless boyfriend and his equally useless academia friends to Sweden. The plan is to celebrate midsommar, a festival for the summer solstice that only occurs every 100 years but things get weird – really weird. The movie is a slow march to hell, despite it’s beautifully bright and flowery backdrop. Pugh nails this juxtaposition on the head by portraying Dani as a perfectly innocent girl on the outside while highlighting how she is constantly suffering on the inside.

If you’re into ancient symbolism, gore and being deeply disturbed, Midsommar is the film for you. 

1. Rosamunde Pike as Amy Dunne – Gone Girl (2014)

Gone Girl may not qualify as a horror movie but it certainly has more than enough spooky elements to make it October viewing. We have Ben Affleck as the dangerously apathetic husband, Neil Patrick Harris as the creepy high school boyfriend who never moved on and most importantly – Rosamunde Pike as the unhinged femme fatale. Pike does most of the heavy-lifting by delivering some of the most iconic lines of any female villain ever. Some super-fans have even memorized the “Cool Girl” monologue which has almost 3 million views on YouTube. Amy Dunne has also become something of a pseudo feminist icon despite the movie’s intended narrative. But as you watch Amy’s skillful descent into madness, you might find yourself rooting for her too.  

If you’re looking for an upgrade from your usual Lifetime drama, watch Gone Girl this Halloween season.

Ozi (Oh-zee) is a fourth year majoring in biomedical engineering and minoring in public policy at Georgia Tech. She is Nigerian-American and grew up in Houston, Texas. She loves good books, staying up to date, and watching all the Oscar-bait movies.