This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Who has ever looked at an Instagram picture and thought, “Wow, I wish I looked like her?” or “Why aren’t my teeth that straight?” or “Wow, I wish my hair was longer?” That’s right, the majority of us have. Unfortunately, our society is obsessed with the idea of comparison and bending ourselves to meet the new standard. That’s just how social media has shaped people over the past years.

No one was born with the idea that they have to be as skinny, or as curvy, or as pretty or as smart as anyone else. I know I am guilty of spending hours a day on Instagram, Twitter, and Tumblr looking at pictures of Instagram-famous celebrities and super models, constantly comparing myself, when in reality it does nothing to make me feel better.

All of these “perfect”/ “goal worthy” girls and people have flaws and imperfections just like us. They just don’t show it on social media. So many “fitspo” bloggers and celebrities have come out with new posts showing that they bloat too— they have bad angles and they don’t always feel their best. We post what we think the “best” moments are and share what we want people to see.

It has become habit for most girls to put their best selves out there, so they feel like they meet the standards of today. But that is all they are: made up standards — that can be altered and changed. There are not permanent rules and women shouldn’t let them define who they are. What defines us is how we treat others, how we treat ourselves, and what we get out of life. Don’t get stuck inside this little bubble of self-doubt where you pick apart every piece of yourself.

Bettering yourself is never a bad thing what is though, is when you change yourself to please someone else. Someone else’s beauty does not subtract from yours. Roses are beautiful, but so are snowflakes and they couldn’t be more different. If everyone strived to be the same person, the world tells us to be that would be pretty damn boring.

So, challenge yourself to look in the mirror and love yourself. Make it a point to look yourself in the mirror and say, “I love you.” I know it sounds cheesy, but it works. Identify the good within yourself and admire it, embrace it, and show it off girls. 

Molly Finnan is Furman’s HerCampus Social Media Director. She is a Health Science major from Annapolis MD. She loves promoting women’s equality and writing!She loves Law and Order, CrimeJunkie podcasts, Golden retrievers and Hot Cheetos.
Mackenzie Smith is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior majoring in Public Health with a minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Mackenzie has a passion for making sure women feel empowered and important throughout all stages of life which can be seen through her work with Girlology and The Homeless Period Project.