This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

If you have spent any time at all on TikTok, I’m sure you’ve come across a myriad of creative and “easy” recipes. I’m someone who loves trying new recipes, so I’ve spent some time toying around with a couple that I’ve come across. There have been some awesome successes and I’ve found recipes that I will continue using for years, but there have also been some epic fails. So here’s my overview of the top five TikTok recipes I’ve tried, and their very mixed results. 

1. The Feta Pasta 

This is one of those videos it seems like everyone’s seen. And, regardless of the rampant debate that seems to happen in the comment section on everyone of those videos, I have to side with the popular vote on this one. It’s absolutely delicious, and almost impossible to mess up. Seriously 10/10, it’s a fantastic recipe and I can’t recommend it enough. 

2. Birria Tacos 

This is another one of those recipes I’m sure everyone’s seen. These saucy tacos made my mouth water every time I saw a video about them so I had to give them a try. I had basically none of the ingredients to make them, so attempting the recipe was an investment. I ended up substituting the meat with oyster mushrooms, so I was a little apprehensive about the way they would turn out. The recipe is also a bit time consuming but oh my gosh was it worth it. Seriously these are so flavorful and filling they’re definitely worth the work, try it out!

3. Penne alla Vodka 

Another pasta…I know, but can you ever really get enough? If I remember correctly this whole craze started with a Gigi Hadid recipe, so sorry to Gigi, but I’m not terribly impressed. It was a solid recipe and I enjoyed it, but it was a little bland. I probably wouldn’t try it again if I’m being honest, but it wasn’t much work so if you want a quick hearty meal it’s not something to turn your nose up at. 

4. The Pancake Cereal 

This was a very fun one to try and It was a novel way to enjoy pancakes but I definitely wouldn’t do it again. It’s just a lot of work. I will add though, that if you’re ever taking care of kids this is a fantastic way to waste an hour, they absolutely love it! But, they’ll probably ask for it again so be prepared for that. 

5. Seitan 

This might be one of those things that only pops up on the vegetarians feed, but it was certainly a new concept for me. Seitan is also sometimes called ‘wheat meat’ and it’s made from wheat gluten, it’s meant to be a meat substitute. It was an interesting concept and the idea of washing dough seemed very fun but I have to admit, I haven’t failed this hard on a recipe in awhile. I didn’t even get to the taste test stage, I had to throw away the whole gloopy mess. If you’ve got more skill than I do give this a try but it’s safe to say I won’t be trying this again. 

Christina La Rosa is a Senior at Furman University, who is originally from Richmond Virginia. She is a Psychology major. She wants to support and encourage all women to be the best that they can be. She loves her dogs, chocolate chip cookies, and painting.
Hailey Wilcox is the Editor-in-Chief and one of the two Campus Correspondents of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior Educational Studies major, and hopes to pursue a Master's in Applied Behavior Analysis. Aside from Her Campus, she is President of Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed community service fraternity. Her passions include self-care, helping her communities, and makeup!