Girl Eating Banana Fruit Hoop Earrings Sex
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Sex and COVID-19: Here’s What You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Nowadays, it seems like we’ve lost it all. From attending our friends’ twenty-first birthday parties to starting a new semester, college life has seemed bleak and unnerving. There are some things that we can do that are reminiscent of life pre-COVID, such as picking up food from our favorite restaurants and taking it home, or having happy hour with our closest friends over Zoom. A few aspects of our lives are salvageable by taking our favorite pastimes and making them COVID-friendly. But, what parts of life must be postponed until the spread of COVID-19 slows down? 

Sex is undoubtedly one of the first things that comes to mind when thinking about life during the pandemic, though few people want to talk about it. The logistics of sex are already hard enough in a world where sex education is subpar. So, how do we do… it? Here are a few tips from the CDC, other health organizations, and a gal who’s always open to conversations about safe sex.

1. You Are Your Own Safest Partner

It’s not sex, but you could spend this time getting to know YOUR body, whether you’re well acquainted with it or not. If you spend this time focusing on your own sexuality, there’s zero risk of contracting COVID (just remember to wash your hands first, as always). Here’s a list of some vibrators to get you started! 

2. Only Have Sex With Someone In Your Bubble

Ideally, your sexual partner is someone who already lives with you, or is someone who spends time with you, your bubble, and limits their contact with others. You should avoid sleeping with someone who you know gets around, whether that is sexually or socially. Especially avoid sex with more than one partner at a time. Make it a point to have an in-depth discussion with a future partner, and make it known that health and safety beyond typical measures are of the utmost importance. Remember, it’s your body and your health. Protect yourself and don’t apologize for it!

3. What to Do When It’s Time to Get Busy

Logistically, there’s a lot to consider. First and foremost, kissing is out of the question unless you both get tested, quarantine, and avoid contact of any kind before a singular sexual encounter. But, that just isn’t really feasible. Second, avoiding contact with bodily fluids is crucial, so wearing masks, using condoms and dental dams, and avoiding contact with fecal matter or urine is advised. 

I know this sounds quite complicated, but all it takes is a little creativity to make everything work and still enjoy yourself. Take this time to prioritize your sexual and physical health, while doing so at your own comfort. Stay safe!

Hailey Wilcox is the Editor-in-Chief and one of the two Campus Correspondents of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior Educational Studies major, and hopes to pursue a Master's in Applied Behavior Analysis. Aside from Her Campus, she is President of Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed community service fraternity. Her passions include self-care, helping her communities, and makeup!