This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Firstly, let’s have a talk about what a red flag is. You’ve probably heard this term thrown around on social media at some point, but what does it actually mean? A red flag is a revealing indicator of someone’s true behavior. These are warning signs for worse actions to come. The term has become overused to the point where it is used as a joke to point out common or normal behaviors and call them red flags. In all seriousness, learning how to identify red flags could potentially save your life by helping you avoid, in a worst case scenario, abusive relationships. 

Some specific red flags according to the National Domestic Violence Hotline are as follows:

• Pressuring you to do things you do not want to do such as drinking, using drugs, or having sex
  • Insulting you or things that you care about
  • Attempting to keep you away from loved ones 
  • Trying to make big decisions for you

The endgame of most abusers is to have power and control over someone. They do this through degradation, isolation of their victims, and other manipulative tactics. Rationally, we all think that we would never be with someone like that, but what you see is not always what you get. These abusers are master manipulators and have a way of masking their true selves, but sometimes the mask slips and you see a glimpse of their real personality. That mask slip is what I have been referring to as red flags. 

While there are many different types of abuse: sexual, emotional, verbal, and even financial, this list of warning signs has a few things in common. These actions take away personal choice, isolate you from others, and give the other person all the power and control in your life. Keeping this in mind when you are meeting someone new can help you analyze their actions and determine if you are seeing red flags. No one should aim to control you in a healthy relationship, and no one deserves to be treated in such a way. 

If you want to read more into the forms of abuse and warning signs you can visit the hotline linked below. To contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline call or text the numbers below. 

Resources:

Hotline Website to Learn More: https://www.thehotline.org/

To Call: 800-799-7233To Text: Text “START” to 88788

Grayson Jarrell is a sophomore at Furman University majoring in Studio Art. She spends her free time painting, reading, writing, and riding a skateboard.