This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

April in Greenville has been nothing short of beautiful skies and beautiful weather (for the most part). Despite the fact I was in quarantine for most of April’s beginning, the moment I walked out of my apartment I was met with immaculate weather that kept me outside for hours. Because I live in the Vinings at Furman, I am lucky enough to have a pool to sunbathe at and swim in; but, where there is a pool, there are bathing suits. Where there are bathing suits, there are insecurities. Hence today’s article. Let’s talk about it. 

“Bikini season” always stresses out a large number of people. Men and women alike both can feel insecure and worried to wear a bathing suit due to their views of themselves and the fear of how others will view their body. I am one of those people and quite frankly, I don’t remember a time when I wasn’t self conscious when wearing a bathing suit. I get worried my stomach isn’t flat like others and my thighs are too big. I get worried people are going to judge me and think bad things about my body. It’s just how it’s been. It’s a work in progress for me, I do not have a bunch of advice on how to “feel confident.” Rather, all I can say is just put on the bathing suit. 

As I have gone to my pool more, the thought of wearing a bathing suit in front of my friends and my neighbors has seemed less daunting. The biggest step is quite literally just putting the bathing suit on. Do I get anxious? Yeah. Do I worry about being judged? Yeah. But at the end of the day, I refuse to let my anxieties and fear of judgment keep me from living my life, enjoying the sun, and spending time with my friends. I used to not have this mindset and I missed out on a lot of good memories because of it. But not anymore. 

It’s something that needs to be talked about more. One of my good friends, Emily, is the reason why I wrote this because she reminded me it is something I struggle with and something others struggle with, too. I didn’t want to write this at first because it’s something personal to me that I am still working on. It’s an awkward topic and shows a more vulnerable side. But you know, even if one person reads this and feels heard, seen, and maybe a tad more confident putting on a bathing suit, then I am happy. It’s better for me to write about my struggles so others don’t feel alone. 

If you find this relatable, here are a few things I have started to tell myself now that I am working on my own “Not Being Insecure About Wearing a Bathing Suit” journey:

1. If someone is judging your body, that’s their problem. Not yours. 

2. People probably aren’t thinking about your body, by the way. (But if they are, their problem, not yours).

3. Who cares what other people think? 

4. Also, you’re hot at any size. Strut your stuff. 

And most importantly, I tell myself…

5. Savannah, you are NOT going to miss out on fun memories with your friends because you’re insecure. Just put the bathing suit on and own it. 

A lot of people refrain from beach trips and pool parties in fear of being judged and in fear of not looking like a specific “type” of person. Life is too short to not put on the damn bathing suit. Life is too short to do anything but love yourself. 

It’s not an easy journey to work through, but with a support system (like my friend Emily and others have been for me) and self-love, you will get there. It all starts with just putting on the bathing suit. 

Savannah Hobbie is a senior Politics & International Affairs and Communications double major at Furman University. She hopes to attend law school after college. Aside from Her Campus, she is on the executive boards for both Panhellenic Council and the Chi Omega sorority at Furman. She is a mentor for Ladies of Distinction and is an orientation leader. She also has two internships serving as a social media manager. Her passions include self-care, writing about vulnerable topics, beauty, spreading love, and hyping people up!