This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Since the Supreme Court overruled the beloved case of Roe v. Wade, every human that possesses a vagina has had to reevaluate sex. In this frightening world of unknown, the era of sexual empowerment and freedom has come to an uncomfortable halt as people worry for their future involving sexual health and care. Unlike before, there is no promise of fixing a one-night stand or receiving contraceptive care to prevent unplanned pregnancies. After a 20-year surge of positive sexual empowerment, people are having to make the choice of whether or not to continue having sex; something that most of us have never had to question in our lifetimes. 

I feel comfortable speaking in general terms when I say that most anatomically female people have been severely rocked by the Supreme Court’s decision. If it is not already obvious enough, I personally am someone who sides with the ‘pro-choice’ movement and have considerably strong opinions on the matter. Regardless of my personal opinions, anyone who identifies as a woman, or any anatomically female person is having to reevaluate the ways in which they are able to express themselves sexually. In a time of such fear, concern, and speculation, how do we continue to liberate ourselves sexually?

The term ‘sex positive’ became more of household term in the late 1990s when society began to slowly accept the ideals and practices of positive sex and sexual freedom. Since then, people have had the opportunity to explore their sexualities more openly, especially with the increase of acceptance for the LGBTQIA community in more recent years. Although sex is commonly looked at through a moral lens, the physical and spiritual act of sex exists so far beyond human moral limitations which have traditionally bound it. Sex is a right, not a privilege; all people should have the choice to choose whether or not they wish to indulge in the act of sex, as well as how little or how much of it they wish to have. 

Now, more than ever, people should intentionally and continually remind themselves of the power that they hold solely by being a woman or having a vagina. We must protect our personal agency and continue to allow ourselves pleasure even in the current socio-political climate. There are multitudes of ways that we as a community can continue to expand our sexualities and practice self-empowerment. Obviously, if you are someone who practices safe sex with your partner/partners and have access to contraceptives and care, then by all means continue with discernment. If care of this kind is not accessible to you, or you do not feel comfortable having sex in general at this time, then this is a fantastic opportunity to look into new outlets of pleasure. 

It has been said once and I will say it again, you can never go wrong with solo sex! There are so many ways for someone to treat themselves while also remaining cautious of the current political state. When it comes to self-love, you can go the vibrator route and buy yourself a new toy for a little me-time; there are plenty of sustainable ‘self loves brands’ that ethically produce their products and will be linked down below. Also, just going the all-natural route by exploring parts of your body and learning which areas arouse you the most is a great way to learn more about your body and reinvigorate your sensual senses. A nice candle-lit bath with a glass of wine is a great form of empowerment, especially by intentionally using the time to reiterate affirmations of feminine power and positive sensuality to yourself. Any form of self-care that you may already practice can be altered to focus more closely on sexually liberation and strength. Surrounding oneself with other sex-positive individuals creates an uplifting community where you can share positivities, tips, and concerns. At a time like this, it is important to remember each person’s individuality and uplift the choices that they make, whether they involve sex or abstain from it. 

We as humans each have the right to sex and sexuality if we wish to engage with it. My sexuality will not lessened just because of some old, creepy, white men that can’t get it up, and yours shouldn’t either. 

Sustainable sex-toys: