This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

I know many of you are scared to ask your boyfriend to watch a romantic movie with you. You don’t want to hear the groans or snickers at the cheesy romance. For this reason, I have asked my boyfriend to review some new and old rom coms. Keep reading to find which movies have the boyfriend stamp of approval. 

He’s Just Not That Into You

What are your first impressions? 

It was a pretty good movie. I enjoyed watching it surprisingly. I was entertained for most of the movie due to the witty, ridiculous plot line. 

Rate the romance. Is it authentic? Is it cringe? 

The romance was pretty authentic, but there are some cringey and cheesy moments. The connection between the characters was authentic, however. It’s hard to watch as a guy, though. The majority of the guys in the movie are trash. 

Is it a good Valentine’s Day film to watch with your boo?  

I think it is a great movie to watch on Valentine’s Day. It is definitely more of a romantic movie, but there is a good amount of comedy. Would recommend watching.

Author note: I don’t know what he is talking about. Do not watch this on Valentine’s Day, ladies. You’ll walk away being mad at your boyfriend for some reason. 

The Wrong Missy

What is your first impression? 

It was a really funny movie. I was paying attention the whole time because Missy is bonkers. Her facial expressions and mannerisms give me that awful second-hand embarrassment, but I can’t turn away for some reason.  

Rate the romance. Is it authentic? Is it cringey? 

The romance at the beginning of the movie was incredibly cringe, but it became more realistic as the movie went on. I’m not entirely sure if anyone would see the main actors ever dating in real life, though. They are definitely an odd pairing. 

I’m not sure if it is a great movie for Valentine’s Day. It is mainly a comedy with some romance thrown in. I’d say it is definitely more of a movie to make you laugh than to light a spark. I would recommend this movie if you are wanting a good laugh.

The Proposal

What is your first impression? 

It was a great movie with a fun and interesting plot line. It kept me entertained the whole time. The relationships between the main characters are constantly evolving, so you’re not sure what is going to happen.

The romance is genuine as the characters initially hate each other, but they end up falling for one another in the end. I could actually see them being together in real life. 

I would recommend watching on Valentine’s Day. It doesn’t really get romantic till the end, but I guess the suspense makes it better. It has a lot of comedy, so when it is lacking romance, it’s got laughs. Also, Betty White is the best. Would definitely recommend.

Heartbreak Kid

What is your first impression? 

It was a really entertaining movie with a funny plot line. The majority of the scenes are somewhat ridiculous. His wife is…um.. Well I won’t spoil it for you. 

The romance was quite cringey. The movie doesn’t really give you much faith in men. I promise he doesn’t represent all of us. It is still quite a romantic movie, however. 

The main character is sort of a piece of work, so I’m not sure if it sets a romantic mood. I think it would be good to watch on Valentine’s Day if you are looking for something light hearted with more comedy than romance. 

There you have it… A man’s review of four romantic comedies. I am as surprised as you… I didn’t have to pay him or bribe him with food to do this. Get yourself a man who loves HerCampus that much. 

These movies have the official boyfriend stamp of approval. So, grab your boyfriend and some popcorn, ladies. 

Sarah Briere

Furman '22

Sarah Briere is a junior at Furman studying Psychology. In addition to being a writer for HerCampus, she is the Merchandise Chair for Alpha Delta Pi sorority. In her free time, she enjoys painting, doing makeup, and dancing. After college, she hopes to help women be the best version of themselves as a Clinical Psychologist.
Hailey Wilcox is the Editor-in-Chief and one of the two Campus Correspondents of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior Educational Studies major, and hopes to pursue a Master's in Applied Behavior Analysis. Aside from Her Campus, she is President of Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed community service fraternity. Her passions include self-care, helping her communities, and makeup!