This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

In my politics class this semester, I have learned that women are way more likely than men to register to vote and follow through on election day! Voting is a standing decision or habit that people develop as they integrate into their community’s social and political lives. Voting, in this context, is an act of social participation and civic involvement, a fundamental right our women predecessors fought for. Women now make up around 53% of the US population, constitute the majority of registered voters, and consistently vote at higher rates than men. In this sense, women’s votes are crucial to winning elections for both male and female candidates.

As college students, it is easy to think that voting will not make a direct impact. However, midterm elections are important because they help determine who has the most power in Congress. As stated in the Constitution, Congress is a legislative body with authority to make laws. Unlike yearly state and local elections, midterm elections occur halfway through the President’s term and do not occur during general election years. Members of the House are elected for a two-year term, meaning that this year all 435 seats will be decided during the midterm elections. Some senators and Governors are up for re-election as well. The last midterm election occurred in 2018 during Donald Trump’s second year as president. Since 2022 is officially the halfway point in Joe Biden’s presidency, the midterm elections will be nationwide on November 8. 

The question looming over the 2022 midterm elections is whether Democrats can maintain control or if Republicans will take control of the House or Senate. Take the time over the next few weeks to 

1. Check your voter registration status.
  2. Request your absentee ballot 
  3. DO YOUR RESEARCH on your representatives (Find Your Representative | house.gov) and what they stand for. If their actions and beliefs align with yours, great! If not…get looking at who else is running that can impact your community for the better!

Although voter turnout is historically lower than in general elections, midterms are just as essential and can significantly impact how the United States government works! As women, we have a strong voice.

Check Your Voter Registration Status – Vote.org

Absentee Ballot Deadlines – Vote.org 

Find Your Representative | house.gov 

Sources used for this article: 

What are Midterm Elections: Why the 2022 Midterms Matter | Teen Vogue

Mamie is a junior Political Science and Religion double major at Furman. Outside of HerCampus, she is also a member of the Chi Omega sorority, Army ROTC, and writes for the Paladin Newspaper. Following college, she will commission as an Officer in the US Army. Her interests are hiking, cooking, writing, working out, social justice, and spending quality time with her people.