If He Wanted To He Would, and Travis Barker Did

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker are officially engaged!! Travis proposed to Kourtney on a beautiful California beach surrounded by what looked like a million red roses twinkling with candles, and the couple looked incredibly happy. Ever since they posted their engagement, the mention of Scott Disick has riddled the comments section in anything that mentions the couple.  Kourtney and Scott have a messy and complicated history, and their lives will always be intertwined since they have three children together. Why is it, though, we can’t just celebrate this couple and instead have to bring an ex into a conversation where he ultimately does not belong? 

Kourtney broke up with Scott for a reason, and there must be reasons why they have not gotten back together since. From what viewers of Keeping Up With the Kardashians have seen, Scott’s selfish actions are what ultimately ended things between him and Kourtney after numerous chances for him to change. Scott has had hundreds of opportunities to change his behavior and prove himself to be someone worthy of Kourtney, and clearly, he has not in her eyes. 

The relationship between Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker may seem odd to the average person. However, behind all the excessive PDA, it looks like Travis is caring for Kourtney in a way that Scott never did. It seems like she is a priority to him, and he is making her feel incredibly special with the things he does for her. Travis Barker knows how much he cares for Kourtney and wants to show it to not only her but the whole world. Ultimately their decision to get engaged has nothing to do with Scott, and neither does their relationship, so we should not take away from their happy moment by dragging Scott into it. So instead of commenting on their engagement posts with things like “Scott is punching the air right now” maybe we should be commenting about how genuinely happy Travis and Kourtney look together and wish them the best for their future together.

Julia is a junior Business Administration and Communications Studies double major at Furman. Outside of HerCampus, she is also on the executive board of the Chi Omega chapter on her campus. Some of Julia's favorite things include: cooking, working out, Law and Order: SVU, Taylor Swift, and being around the people she loves.