Style > Beauty

How Much Makeup I Wear Isn’t Your Business

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

In today’s social media era of #bodypositivity and #nofilter, we are seeing an abundance of fresh-faced selfies and a multitude of photos including diverse body shapes and sizes. It seems to be that social media is embracing what is natural and authentic, which is all fantastic news. On the other hand, though, we’re throwing shade at those who choose to wear a fully beat face, adorned with striking false eyelashes and blinding highlight. Blame can be placed on these hashtags, or perhaps #nofilter has nothing to do with the fact that we shame folks who wear makeup on the regular. Perhaps we just don’t want a woman to be confident at all. 

Whatever you think about people who choose to wear a lot of makeup, your opinion doesn’t matter if it’s not your own face. As someone who spends a serious amount of my paychecks on Sephora online orders, I am always facing criticism for it. I’m told, “You’d save so much time in the morning!” or “You’d have a lot more money to spend if it didn’t all go to your makeup collection.” or “You’re still pretty without it!”

While I am (barely) flattered by people’s concerns and comments, I have to say that these comments are seriously irking. If we are a society that promotes the acceptance of a woman’s ability to make her own choices, then why is my shiny blue eyeshadow so problematic? If my body is my own and no one else has permission to regulate it in any way, how is my super bright highlighter any of your business?

I am aware that I am equally as good looking without makeup as I am with it. In all honesty, I’m not at all insecure about what my face looks like underneath all this bronzer, eyeliner, and amazing glam. To be frank, even if I was insecure about my #wokeuplikethis face, I still am allowed to wear however much makeup I want. 

My choice to spend hundreds of dollars on new eyeshadow palettes is none of your business. Taking an hour to get ready in the morning should be none of your concern, because not only am I (usually) on time, I also look incredible. Beating my face to perfection every morning, regardless of who I plan on seeing or where I may go, is my ritual. I don’t feel like myself if I don’t dedicate the time every morning to put my best face forward.

Shaming me for my choice to wear makeup daily is like shaming women who don’t. Just let women do what they want with their bodies. It’s none of your business. 

Hailey Wilcox is the Editor-in-Chief and one of the two Campus Correspondents of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior Educational Studies major, and hopes to pursue a Master's in Applied Behavior Analysis. Aside from Her Campus, she is President of Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed community service fraternity. Her passions include self-care, helping her communities, and makeup!
Mackenzie Smith is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior majoring in Public Health with a minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Mackenzie has a passion for making sure women feel empowered and important throughout all stages of life which can be seen through her work with Girlology and The Homeless Period Project.