This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

“Hot girl summer”, the emergent phrase dubbed by up and coming Megan Thee Stallion became the go-to phrase of every fed up and sexually curious woman this summer. The phrase, quickly becoming the perfect rationale for a brief summertime fling, devoid of attachment and DTR-ing. 

With the countless movies, songs, and repetitive TV shows depicting a carefree, no rules space for young people to get hot and heavy during the long canicular days, it is no surprise that the cliché summer fling flourishes time and time again.

These flings have been made even easier by the creation of dating apps like Tinder and Bumble, allowing any and all romantically or sexually inquisitive individuals to meet up and keep one another company, without the pressures of academia, parents, or outside responsibilities. 

Feel no shame about giving into your desire to have a no-strings-attached relationship with any freely consenting adults of your choice. However, if such a fling unravels into cuffing season, know that a time may come where you or the other individual(s) want to be more than just “a thing”.

Like the timeless summertime fashion faux pas of no white clothes after Labor Day, the end of your feverishly hot affair will come to fruition, so remember to prepare yourself for the worst.

So, ladies get your last “rrr” then “grab your sh*t” and “dip, ooh” right on back to school.

Olivia Glad

Furman '21

Olivia Glad is a senior majoring in Sociology with a minor in Women, Gender, and Sexuality studies, a writer for HerCampus, a peer leader and mentor, as well as a Resident Assistant. She is an avid supporter of women, social justice, and self-reflection and has written numerous papers and engaged in passion projects about these topics. She loves the color pink and a nice iced coffee after a long day of classes. She hopes to become a college professor or program director to enlighten young minds, but ultimately to become a mentor and friend to all.
Mackenzie Smith is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior majoring in Public Health with a minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Mackenzie has a passion for making sure women feel empowered and important throughout all stages of life which can be seen through her work with Girlology and The Homeless Period Project.