This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

You’re probably going to skip this first bit to get to the list of gifts because you’re frantically looking for ideas of what to gift your partner, sibling, parent, friend, etc. Hopefully you do read this disclaimer though: I can only help you so much with this, you need to know at least two key things about someone. 

1. What kind of things do they keep or use?

Do they have a lot of practical items or are they someone who collects knickknacks? This one is easier if you’ve been in their apartment/dorm/house etc. 

2. What is their general vibe/aesthetic?

The problem with getting others a gift is that other guides out there are very basic and general. Not everyone has the same interests. Another easy way to solve this one is to look at how someone dresses. Someone’s style is usually an indicator of their interests. Someone that wears vintage styled clothes probably likes vintage items (ex. cassette tapes, records). Most gift guides give recommendations based on gender or relation, but honestly, I think the key is understanding someone’s interests more than anything else.

Once you are able to combine your knowledge and observations of these two things, your next step is a gift guide. 

Smaller Practical Gifts for Those You Don’t Know Incredibly Well

A practical gift doesn’t have to be something that would help you survive an apocalypse; it can just be something that helps your everyday life.  

For the coffee fanatics, a good stocking stuffer or smaller gift is a milk frother. (~$9)

For someone you aren’t close to, a candle is an easier gift. But, this is where that aesthetic thing comes into play. Think about the kind of makeup someone does, the way their cologne or perfume smells. Darker notes and tones = more earthy scents. Lighter clothes and dainty jewelry = light floral scents. And if you’re too worried about picking a specific smell for someone, I recommend Cool Girl Candles. (~$18) If you know a celebrity that a person is a big fan of, they have candles that supposedly smell like that icon. You can also request custom people, so no worries if they don’t have the person you’re looking for! 

Makeup/Skincare/Haircare Gift Card

Please, please, please, do not try to buy someone makeup unless you know the exact palette, tube, shade, etc. that they use. Makeup and skincare items are so specific to a person that this is a tricky buy. That being said, skincare, haircare, and makeup are *so* stupid expensive. So, you know that the person you want to buy a gift for enjoys makeup/skincare/haircare, but you don’t feel confident in buying them a specific item. It is completely okay to get a gift card in this case. Two different places that are major beauty stores where most people could find their beauty supplies are: Sephora and Ulta. 

For the People Who Wear Earth-Tone Clothing and Care About Sustainability 

Emotional Support Water Bottle Specific Items

These sticker wraps for their Hydro Flask or Nalgene (or other water bottle that they carry everywhere). If they don’t already have one, a boot for their Hydro Flask. (~$7.95) Another one is the slings for water bottles. Hydro Flask sells some bottle slings (~$15), which is essentially a purse for your water bottle basically, on their website, but also if you go on Etsy you can find ones that are knitted. This type of person usually will appreciate a handmade small business gift more so that is something to think about. Another one specific to water bottles is this sticker wrap meant for a bottle, (~$15) but can also go on cars or laptops for example. 

Household Sustainable Items 

Handmade soaps (and other skincare items) are typically better for your skin since they are made from natural ingredients, and the bars are better for the environment. There are many small businesses that make soap, but here’s a few suggestions: 

1. The Gilded Bee  ($7.85)
  2. Seed Geeks ($9.27)
  3. The Soap Tree Yorkshire ($4.87)

Another household sustainable item is beeswax wraps. (~$8) These are meant to replace cling wrap or plastic bags. Plus they have cute designs and you support small businesses.

Frog and Toad crewnecks on Etsy. Trust me. Sustainable and nature themed clothing from Nature Backs or Ten Tree. Nature Backs sends stickers with orders usually, and Ten Tree plants ten trees with every order. You can even track where the trees are planted!

Finally, all natural chapstick. (Pack of three ~$10)

For the Sneaker-Head

A shoe cleaning kit ($35) is a great thing for those people in your life who are terrified to get a speck of dirt on their prized shoes. 

Not exactly sneakers, but if you know someone who has a newer pair of Doc Martens, I recommend getting them leather polish ($13.72) and ankle guards. ($8.99)

From here these get a bit pricey. Maybe keep the receipt. 

A display case for their favorite sneakers is a great option if you don’t know what shoe to get them. You can get them a shoe organizer that is a mix of storage and display ($40) https://www.amazon.com/Organizer-Plastic-Stackable-Storage-Sneaker/dp/B09T3W988L?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A3VFLLQPLCPKVS

Wall mount storage and display ($50)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/10Pcs-Floating-Shoe-Display-Sneaker-Shelves-Wall-Mount-Levitating-Shoe-Display-Stand-for-Sneaker-Collection-or-Shoes-Box/1019890162?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101246542

Or finally, the rotating magnetic shoe display ($115)

If you’re feeling ambitious, consider adding to their collection. Remember, check their shoe size, colors, and styles they already have. Here’s a few recommendations: 

Adidas SAMBA ($100)

• Go for ones other than the black and white combos, be original!

https://www.adidas.com/us/samba

Adidas Forum Lows ($100)

https://www.adidas.com/us/forum-84-low-shoes/GZ8959.html

Nike Blazer Mid ’77 Vintage ($105)

•  Additionally, these are pretty trendy right now 

https://www.nike.com/t/blazer-mid-77-vintage-mens-shoes-nw30B2/BQ6806-100

Nike Dunk Low (~$110)

• These are hard to come by, especially on the site they’re rarely available. That being said, on the app SNKRS you can enter into raffles for shoe releases and get notifications for upcoming styles. That being said, this is such a great looking shoe, is regaining popularity, and comes in many different styles (though the women’s lows are notorious for being ‘feminine colors’) 

https://www.nike.com/t/dunk-low-womens-shoes-d5Hjlz/DZ4706-200

New Balance 574 Legacy Sneakers ($85-$100)

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/new-balance-574-shoes-22nwbw574v2gryxxxftw/22nwbw574v2gryxxxftw?sku=23212253

For the Typical College Student

Grocery gift cards. We are hungry and broke. 

As for more fun gifts, decorating our spaces when we are at college can fall low on the list of priority when we are so busy, and sh*t is just expensive. These items are great especially for those who don’t spoil themselves or may not think to have decorative things in their apartment/dorm etc. Throw pillows and blankets!! (~$20) I have had luck finding nice ones at TJ MAXX, Marshalls, Target, and even Walmart- all decently priced, nice looking, and good quality. Be sure to get a throw pillow that you can zip off the cover so it can be washed. 

If the college student you have in mind has a kitchen, I recommend any appliance or tool that would make it easier for them to cook. Air Fryers (~$50) are a lifesaver, but a kitchen gift could also just be something along the lines of a Britta Counter Dispenser. Another helpful kitchen item is a cookbook; there are even some that are specific to Air Fryers. 

Posters! A sentimental gift too, and one of my biggest life hacks, is getting the Shutterfly app. You can order unlimited free 4X4 or 4X6 prints, and all you do is pay for shipping. You can use these to print pictures of a loved one and make a 

For the Book Worms

Specific books may be hard to pick out for someone especially if you’re not sure what genre they read. If you know of a book they’ve read and loved, download Goodreads, search the book, and click on the ‘similar to this’ option. It will show you books that people voted to be similar to that one, and their reviews of it. Again, if this seems a bit risky, there is nothing wrong with getting a Barnes and Noble gift card

If you know a favorite of theirs, a unique gift is a book wallet.($36) This gift is a bit more forgiving because even if they don’t like the book that the wallet is made to look like, it is still a novelty to have a wallet that looks like a book. 

For the Knickknack Collector

Etsy is your friend. It is such a good place to find niche things that are good quality and often handmade. Type in a word or phrase related to something the person you are shopping for is interested in and you will find all sorts of things to get them. Just typing in ‘antique’ can find you all sorts of things!

Here’s a collection of random things I’ve found on Etsy:

Not on Etsy but still a great recommendation that can be individualized: Legos! There truly is a kit for everyone. Everything from Star Wars, Harry Potter, car kits, to bouquets and bonsai trees.

And lastly, Squishmallows. Everyone knows about them by now I’m sure, but the biggest issue is finding them somewhere that they aren’t stupid expensive. You’ll be glad to know Costco has the largest ones available for $25. 

For the Artist

Whatever you do, don’t buy the kits that just have a collection of crayons and dry markers. It would help to know what kind of art someone enjoys, but most artists welcome trying new mediums. The thing that matters most is that you buy quality supplies. 

Charcoal kit 

I recommend getting a rubber eraser as well for this gift. 

https://www.michaels.com/compressed-charcoal-sticks-by-artists-loft/10337254.html

Portable easel

Few of us enjoy trying to paint or draw on a flat surface.

https://www.dickblick.com/categories/furniture/easels/plein-air/

Quality paintsHere is a favorite brand of mine. 

The most common paints are acrylic and oil, oil takes days to dry and requires more additional materials. I wouldn’t recommend buying someone oil paints unless you’re sure they already use them.  

Hopefully I’ve given you some idea of what to get by now. If you’re still struggling, think of the hobbies that person is into. Get them something that helps them do that, and if you can’t think of a hobby they have, give them something that will start a hobby for them! Best of luck this holiday season!

Grayson Jarrell is a sophomore at Furman University majoring in Studio Art. She spends her free time painting, reading, writing, and riding a skateboard.