Furman Athletics Date Auction: College Fun or Something More?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

A large part of the college experience includes following traditions that have been around forever. For instance, at Furman, we throw each other in the lake on our friends’ birthdays. When we think about it, college is a strange place. Hundreds of students live in a single building and share bathrooms. We also get dressed up for frat parties without question because that’s just the norm we’re accustomed to.

However, there are some practices that require a second thought. Sometimes we partake in things because “that’s just what we do” or “we’ve always done it this way.” If we were outside of our college campus and took part in similar activities, would we still do it without question?  

(Gif Courtesy of GIPHY)

At Furman, the Athletics Teams host an annual date auction. The students being auctioned off are freshman athletes. To prepare for the event, freshmen fill out a list of questions to give bidders a glimpse into their personalities, interests, and attributes they seek in romantic partners.

At the actual event, a moderator introduces the student being auctioned off, and then starts the bidding at $5. Some athletes go for as low as $5, while some go for as high as $60. Another part of the auction includes a choreographed dance. Freshmen are expected to come up with a Beyoncé-like performance and practice it for weeks in advance, while also participating in sports full-time and being students.

Now, while the event itself may seem like it’s all in good spirits, there are some questions we must ask. If freshmen aren’t necessarily forced to participate in the dating auction, what pressures are placed on them to participate? If they choose to not participate, what are the ramifications they face? Something worth noting is that some athletes are able to afford Furman’s tuition solely because of the scholarships they earn. Without participating in their sport, some students may lose the financial aid that allows them to study at Furman. So, if other athletes felt so inclined, could freshmen athletes who refuse to participate in the auction lose their ticket to Furman?

Before delving into the philosophical arguments against dating auctions, some logistical questions should be asked, first. Let’s say that each student ended up costing bidders $35. Over fifty freshmen were part of the auction this year. So, if exactly fifty freshmen sold for $35 each, then the dating auction made $1,750. This (theoretical) $1,750 came directly from the pockets of Furman athletes. Where does this money go? Charity? Or back into the Athletics Department?

But, is this all ethical? Is this in good fun, but tasteless? Or is the annual date auction of freshmen dehumanizing?

Hailey Wilcox is the Editor-in-Chief and one of the two Campus Correspondents of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior Educational Studies major, and hopes to pursue a Master's in Applied Behavior Analysis. Aside from Her Campus, she is President of Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed community service fraternity. Her passions include self-care, helping her communities, and makeup!
Mackenzie Smith is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior majoring in Public Health with a minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Mackenzie has a passion for making sure women feel empowered and important throughout all stages of life which can be seen through her work with Girlology and The Homeless Period Project.