Culture > News

FU Theatre Presents: Do You Feel Anger?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Furman University’s Theater Arts Department performs four mainstage productions throughout the school year–two for each semester. During February 22-27th, the department will  showcase the dark comedy Do You Feel Anger not only for  Furman faculty and staff, but also for the general public. The play is filled with countless laughs and yet serious, thought-provoking moments that will leave the audience with a broader worldview.

The show follows Sofia, an empathy coach, as she embarks on her new project to help members of a debt collection agency with their empathy and overall people skills. However, this proves to be a more difficult challenge than she expected. The employees are immature, misogynistic, and have no sense of personal boundaries. They cannot appropriately identify or express emotions, and most of the show’s comedic elements come from their unapologetically blunt speech. Most of the jokes are slightly dark – making the audience question whether or not they are even allowed to laugh. Despite the cartoonish feel of the characters, the show also addresses important real-world issues and themes. One character, Eva, has consistently been “mugged” and sexually harassed in the office for years, but none of the employees seem to care enough to do anything about it. As the show progresses, the audience will gain a new perspective on the effects of toxic masculinity all the while cracking up at the ridiculous behavior and comments of the people in the office. 

I have been fortunate enough to be cast as Eva in this production, and I can easily say this is an experience I will not forget. The cast is comprised of such caring, funny, hard-working, and talented individuals. We have laughed together onstage and backstage and always check up on each other after working a heavy scene. They keep rehearsals a fun and safe space, and I can not wait for the audience to see the art we have created. If you are still debating on whether or not to purchase tickets, I will leave you with some comments from the cast as to why why this show is a must watch!

Kaitlin Noble (“Sofia”) – “It is so absurd that it’s impossible not to love it. Each character has such an extreme personality that there is never a dull moment in the show!””

Seth Jones (“Howie”) – “People will be taken out of the world to have a good laugh and a fun time with this hilarious absurdism! This show holds up a mirror and shows how a person’s actions, specifically the actions of men who are trying to preserve masculinity, affect the environment they are in and the women who are around them. It does this in such a witty and clever way that it is so fun to watch!”

Dennis Cheeks (“Jordan”) – “People should come see the show because it’s a great commentary on how a woman sees herself in the workplace. It will make people reflect on their own lives and how they perceive women and how women perceive themselves. Overall, it should make people think and take action!”

Loni Covington (“Janie”) – “You get to explore the functionality of workers whose toxicity is so normalized that everyone begins to act in similar ways. Come see this comedic piece that taps into current issues and culture that we find ourselves in today. This is a CLP opportunity, so you for sure want to claim your ticket!”
Purchase Tickets Here: https://linktr.ee/FurmanTheatre

Casey Norei Funderburk is a junior Psychology and Theatre Arts double major at Furman University. Aside from being a writer for HerCampus, Casey is also part of The Shucker Leadership Institute, Hearst Fellows, Chi Omega Sorority, and is a Writing and Media Lab consultant. She hopes to one day run her own drama therapy recreational center!