This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Hey girl,

It’s 8:00 am and your alarm goes off for the third time. You crawl out of bed for your morning class and begin your routine. Groggy eyed, you look in the mirror and prepare yourself to take in your appearance after a night of (probably not enough) sleep. What you notice is not your messy hair or your dark circles. You notice the sparkle in your eye and the things that make you uniquely you. It’s easy to get caught up in the chaos that college life can entail. It’s important to not only look in the mirror and appreciate yourself for who you are, but also look within and reflect on the amazing qualities you possess. 

It’s easy to compare yourself to people you know. Whether it be their appearance, their accomplishments, or whatever it may be. Comparing yourself to others gets you nowhere, appreciating yourself and continuing to grow is a much better use of your precious energy. Just know that you are beautiful inside and out. No one can replace you and all of your amazing qualities. No one can steal your joy or happiness you hold from within.

Love always,

Jada Johnson

(Gif Courtesy of GIPHY)

Jada Johnson is an event planner of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a sophomore studying sociology, planning to become a school social worker. She is passionate about women’s empowerment and equality. The keys to her heart are ice cream and coffee. In her spare time, you can catch her reading novels, spending time with friends, or striking up conversations with strangers.
Mackenzie Smith is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior majoring in Public Health with a minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Mackenzie has a passion for making sure women feel empowered and important throughout all stages of life which can be seen through her work with Girlology and The Homeless Period Project.