This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Dear future educator, 

Life is hard right now. You’re most likely drowning in lesson planning, struggling with that one student in your fieldwork, and having to re-learn the grade-level content that you’re teaching. If you’re a senior, you’re most likely finishing your student teaching and have felt wildly overwhelmed. This semester of teaching has been a challenge where you had to learn new methods of teaching, hard things your students face every day, and get observed (it feels like) every time you speak. I understand because that is how I have felt every day this semester too. 

When there are days when you question this major, you have to remember why you’re doing it: for the kids. The connection that we, as educators, get to make with students is one of the best feelings. I have gotten to learn all about my students’ academic lives and their home lives throughout this year. Being able to connect with kids, remembering that their grandma’s goldfish’s birthday was this past weekend, and watching their faces light up is such a tender moment. 

Another perfect moment in the classroom is that lightbulb, “I finally understand what’s going on” moment. These are my favorite because you have watched certain students struggle with a concept all year and finally seeing them understand something like, long division, without your help, is so awesome! For some kids, that lightbulb feels like it may never switch on, but stay strong, because with your “can do” attitude, it will. 

You will have hard days and unfortunately, not a lot can prepare you for those hard days. Those days where your students seem to have forgotten every class rule, every little piece of content you’ve taught them, will happen at some point. Sometimes they come completely out of the blue when all of your lesson plans seem to be perfect, but, when you put the kids first, nothing else matters. You are exactly where you need to be and exactly who your students need you to be.  As one of my favorite educators, Ms. Frizzle, always says, “Take chances, make mistakes, get messy”. 

With love and all the best wishes, 

-An almost first-year educator.

Helena Sherman is a senior majoring in elementary education and will be pursuing her master's degree in early childhood with +30 credits in literacy. She is a writer for HerCampus and is on the Heller Leadership Team. She describes herself as a curly-haired Jesus freak. Her passions include reading, talking, and musical theatre.