Function of Beauty
Function of Beauty
Original photo by Madeleine Bokan / Original Illustration for Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

Customized Shampoo: Function of Beauty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Recently, you’ve probably seen ads for Function of Beauty everywhere, or at least some sort of customizable shampoo. In a world where we can click and order any item, Function of Beauty is one of the first to create a customizable hair product. Now, you’ll find many reviews of these customizable shampoos all over YouTube, but this review is different, as I’ve used this product for nearly two years.

The fun of Function of Beauty honestly lies in the initial quiz you take. You first start out by filling out your hair profile, so there are questions related to hair texture, thickness, and oiliness. Then you select up to five “hair goals,” which cover anything from maintaining color, anti-aging, and fixing split ends. 

The next part is the most fun: choosing the scent (you can also opt for no scent), the name you want displayed on your bottles, and the colors you want your shampoo and conditioner to be. Then you choose what size bottles you want, and the largest option is 16oz for both bottles, which runs at $49. The price sounds a little much, but the shampoo and conditioner last anywhere from a month to three months, depending on how often you wash!

The fun in all of this is that it’s customized for your specific hair type, but then you can personalize it to your own taste. Scents range from peaches to flowers, and even seasonal scents! Since we just hit fall, the scent this season is “(pear)fection,” which is a mix between apple and pear to create a “mouthwatering, lush green, juicy bite, *crunch*, fresh start” profile (shown below). 

(Photo Courtesy of functionofbeauty.com)

Above all, I recommend this product for how nice my hair has felt after using this product for so long. You know that feeling, after getting a haircut, where your ends feel so crisp? My hair feels like that all the time! Plus, my hair stylist is always telling me how healthy my hair is. 

Sure, it’s expensive, but the price for something uniquely you is totally worth it. Plus, Function of Beauty is coming out with new products, and currently offer a leave-in treatment, which I use every night. Next, they are releasing a hair mask and a hair serum! All of which are super fun, super good for your hair, and super YOU!

Hailey Wilcox is the Editor-in-Chief and one of the two Campus Correspondents of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior Educational Studies major, and hopes to pursue a Master's in Applied Behavior Analysis. Aside from Her Campus, she is President of Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed community service fraternity. Her passions include self-care, helping her communities, and makeup!
Mackenzie Smith is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior majoring in Public Health with a minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Mackenzie has a passion for making sure women feel empowered and important throughout all stages of life which can be seen through her work with Girlology and The Homeless Period Project.