The Get Down Netflix
The Get Down Netflix
Netflix

Celebrating Black History Month: Throwback Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Last weekend at a party, a friend and I were reminiscing about some of our favorite black movies. We realized that more than half of the people at the party hadn’t seen, or even heard of these movies.

These movies shaped my childhood and introduced me to some of my favorite black actors as well as their work. So, in honor of black history month, I compiled a list of my favorite black throwback movies. I hope this list introduces you to some new movies or brings back some good memories like they do for me.

Poetic Justice

(Gif Courtesy of GIPHY)

This iconic drama starring Janet Jackson and Tupac Shakur is the perfect choice if you’re in the mood to watch a love story. Janet Jackson’s character, Justice, goes on a journey of grief and newfound love in this drama that is sure to inspire whoever watches.

Pootie Tang

(Gif Courtesy of GIPHY)

This film is one that will certainly make everyone watching laugh out loud. This comedy follows the adventures of a smooth superhero called Pootie that you just have to see to believe. Watch him defeat villains and their minions in style in this iconic comedy!

Brown Sugar

(Gif Courtesy of GIPHY)

This romance film comes with a great soundtrack that is perfect for those of you who love a happy ending. Watch this love story evolve from childhood to present day as the main characters find each other through their mutual love of hip-hop music.

Friday, Next Friday, and Friday After Next

(Gif Courtesy of GIPHY)

These comedies star Ice Cube and follow his character, Craig, and his unbelievable adventures in the hood. I recommend bringing all three movies to a movie marathon with friends and they will have you rolling, no doubt.

Cinderella

(Gif Courtesy of GIPHY)

The 1997 remake of Cinderella is a Disney classic that was a childhood favorite of mine. Starring Brandy and Whitney Houston, this remake features an amazing cast and even more amazing soundtrack. This take on the classic fairytale is a feel-good movie if you’re looking to revisit an old favorite.

Love and Basketball

(Gif Courtesy of GIPHY)

This is an absolute classic and a must see, period! Not only is this an adorable romance, it also features a strong female lead that can hold her own on the basketball court and still fall for the boy next door.

House Party

(Gif Courtesy of GIPHY)

This 90s comedy encompasses a classic storyline of teenage boys trying to throw a house party. Starring rap duo, Kid ‘N Play, this hilarious movie will take you back to the 90s and make you never want to leave.

Bad Boys

(Gif Courtesy of GIPHY)

This classic 90s action movie starring, Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, follows the investigation of two Miami detectives and their adventures along the way. Bad Boys stars two iconic actors and is a must-see black action movie.

These are just a few of my favorite black movies that came out in the 1990s and early 2000s. Throwback movies always make me feel good and I hope once you’ve given these movies a chance, they can make you feel good too. Happy Black History Month!

Jada Johnson is an event planner of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a sophomore studying sociology, planning to become a school social worker. She is passionate about women’s empowerment and equality. The keys to her heart are ice cream and coffee. In her spare time, you can catch her reading novels, spending time with friends, or striking up conversations with strangers.
Mackenzie Smith is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior majoring in Public Health with a minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Mackenzie has a passion for making sure women feel empowered and important throughout all stages of life which can be seen through her work with Girlology and The Homeless Period Project.