Broad City: The Absurd and Hilarious Show You Should Have Already Been Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Broad City, which originally began as a YouTube web series, has since become a viewer favorite of Comedy Central’s weekly lineups. The show follows real life best friends and comedians Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer as they confront bad hookups, bad drug trips, and pegging. All of this, on the streets of New York from the perspective of two millennial women. Now entering into its fifth and final season, the show has taken off from its very humble beginnings.

The show is produced, and often directed by the two women, a sometimes-rare occurrence in show business. It maintains its relevance by having celebrity guests, including Kelly Rippa, Wanda Sykes, Blake Griffin, and the highly important Shania Twain (this makes more sense after watching the earliest seasons) to name a few.

The show also deals with concerns over women’s rights, sexual exploration, and life after college navigating the real world in a way both humorous and realistic, unlike the comparable Lena Dunham show Girls.

The show offers up quotable one-liners from the boisterous Glazer, who has a clear infatuation with her best gal, which is often mentioned to Jacobson’s chagrin. The show creatively pokes fun at the practices of young women in the real world, in a manner that encourages individuality and friendship, two things many of us could certainly benefit from having more of.

With the help of their supporting characters of fellow comedian Hannibal Burress, Arturo Castro, and Glazer’s real-life brother Eliot Glazer, the two get into trouble but always find their way back together.

With that being said I leave you with four simple words: reduce, reuse, recycle, Rihanna.

(Gif Courtesy of GIPHY)

Olivia Glad

Furman '21

Olivia Glad is a senior majoring in Sociology with a minor in Women, Gender, and Sexuality studies, a writer for HerCampus, a peer leader and mentor, as well as a Resident Assistant. She is an avid supporter of women, social justice, and self-reflection and has written numerous papers and engaged in passion projects about these topics. She loves the color pink and a nice iced coffee after a long day of classes. She hopes to become a college professor or program director to enlighten young minds, but ultimately to become a mentor and friend to all.
Mackenzie Smith is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior majoring in Public Health with a minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Mackenzie has a passion for making sure women feel empowered and important throughout all stages of life which can be seen through her work with Girlology and The Homeless Period Project.