Style

Affordable Black-Owned Fashion Brands You Should Shop At

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

In the midst of many Americans receiving a wake-up call about the presence of systemic racism in America, many are actively seeking out ways to support the black community during this time of gross injustice. It is important to remember that as we work towards ensuring equality for all, we are also undoing the disenfranchisement that men and women of color experience in this economy. 

There are many ways to be an ally to the black community, from donating to Black Lives Matter to calling your local officials and demanding change. But another way to contribute to the black community is from supporting black-owned businesses. Instead of opting for the easy way out and ordering off of Amazon, choose to be more mindful about where your money goes and support black-owned fashion brands. Below is a list of affordable black-owned fashion brands you should support today, tomorrow, and always:

1. Wear Proclaim creates comfortable, high quality underwear for every skin tone. This company aims to be inclusive of everyone in creating a nude lingerie line and has an ethical production process, where the fabrics are made from recycled plastic bottles. The founder, Shobba Phillips, created this company because she was tired of being unable to find nude undergarments that matched her brown skin tone. Comfy, diverse and environmentally friendly? Count me in. 
  2. Wasai Clothing was founded by Bolivian-American designer, Vanesa Acosta. hopes to showcase her Bolivian culture and create a line that is inclusive of all sizes, skin tones, ethnicities, and genders. This line features bright colors and beautiful patterns that anyone can rock. 
  3. Shop Nichole Lynel offers stable and casual pieces. If you are looking for a range of clothing options, then this store is for you. 
  4. Back Beat Co. is a bit more pricey than the other options, but this sustainable fashion brand draws from California surf and skate culture. If you are looking for laid back and casual skater girl vibes, then look here. 

It is crucial to remember that Black Lives Matter is not a trend, and you should incorporate pursuing equality in your everyday life. Make it a habit to purchase from black companies to help close the racial disparity gap, aid in job creation for Black people and hold larger companies responsible for creating representation. The support for black communities needs to be a sustainable thing that all people actively participate in. 

Hi!! I am a senior studying Politics and International Affairs and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at Furman University! My passions include: empowering women, destroying the patriarchy, and rescuing stray cats. In the future, I hope to pursue a legal career in human or animal rights.