This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Now that recruitment registration has officially closed, it’s about that time of year for everyone to get excited! Formal Recruitment 2019 is right around the corner and will be here before we know it! I know this time of year is nerve-wracking and exciting all at once, so here are a few tips to keep in mind as you go through this process!

#1: Make sure you rest well

These are about to be a long couple of days filled with conversation, emotion, and everything else in between. The best feeling in the world for me was coming back from a long day of recruitment, taking a hot shower, and treating myself to a movie and some popcorn to destress.

This process can be incredibly overwhelming, so make sure you’re taking care of yourself both before recruitment starts and during it so that you’re awake and ready for the long days ahead!

#2: Bring a bag with clothes, snacks, and water

Unfortunately, Furman’s recruitment process is in January, which means that it can get extremely cold when walking/running from round to round. Sweats and comfortable shoes are highly recommended! The first day is the longest, so snacks and water can come in clutch when you are having to talk non-stop!

#3: Keep an open mind

We all know about websites like Greek Rank and whatnot, but what we all don’t know is that usually, people who write reviews on websites like that are biased one way or another. The reason you’re told not to look at sites like these is because it creates unfair judgments. It is key to remember that your own opinion is the only one that matters is this scenario!

#4: Be yourself

I know, it’s cliché, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be said! Different sororities encompass different women, so if you try to be someone you’re not it can inhibit you from joining a sorority that best fits who you really are!

#5: Take notes

This is really key for the first day especially! You’ll be going to seven different sororities and speaking to multiple people during each round. That being said, it can be overwhelming at the end of the day to try to remember every single thing that happened. Taking little notes after each group of women you visit comes in handy.

#6: Wear clothes that make you confident

Even with the cold, you have the creative freedom to dress in a way that best describes who you as an individual. Don’t dress how you think you should, dress in a way that shows off who you are!

#7: Trust the process

Ah, a phrase you’ll hear all the time. I know it sounds dumb now, but it really is key to just trust the process of recruitment. You may end up somewhere you didn’t think you would, only to have the best group of sisters by your side in the end!

#8: Trust your gut

In this process, at Furman especially, it can be hard to make a decision that might lead you astray from what everyone else is doing. I have been in this situation and let me tell you, I am so glad I went with my intuition.

If it comes to the final decision you’re making and you’re having trouble deciding, my advice is to pretend to flip a coin. I’m not saying choose based on the flip, but when you go to flip it, you’ll know what side you’ll want to be up!

Recruitment is a fun and exciting time where you meet a ton of new people and potentially some of your future besties! The process can be overwhelming, tough, happy, and many other emotions, so keep these tips in mind as you go through! Happy Recruitment!

Leigh Poteat is a writer for Her Campus at Furman University. She is a psychology major from Columbia, South Carolina. She is a firm believer of women supporting women and finding new and creative ways that we can support that! She loves good wine, great coffee, and collecting candles!
Mackenzie Smith is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior majoring in Public Health with a minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Mackenzie has a passion for making sure women feel empowered and important throughout all stages of life which can be seen through her work with Girlology and The Homeless Period Project.