Life > Experiences

You’re on Your Own, Kid: First Time Living on My Own

As an 18-year-old, I never expected to have the keys to my own place. Granted, I didn’t even think I would get accepted to Florida State University, with how hectic my senior year was (thanks, COVID-19). However, once I got accepted, I knew I wanted to go there and move out of my parents’ house. It was time to be an adult and see the world for myself, even though it was scary. I grew up in the same area all my life, only moving from East Miramar to West Miramar in the fourth grade. So, everything I knew was here, in my small city. Who knew what the world had, with constant changes?

I lived in the dorms during my first year, which was fun. I got along with my roommate and met one of my best friends to this date, Jillian. Even with all the bad experiences, it was still an experience, to say the least. I got to learn about myself and get used to living alone, along with a roommate. It helped me grow and establish who I was outside of my family and hometown, coming to terms with the fact that there is more to me than the life I left behind.

After the dorms, I knew I needed a place to call my new home. I could always do another year, but I wanted my space and independence. It’s all about growing up and figuring out what it’s like to have my place. After a long time of looking around and trying to find an affordable option, along with making sure it was a safe area in proximity to campus for classes and meeting up with friends, I found the perfect place.

Being about 10 minutes from campus was a reasonable distance, with the ability to stay away if I wanted to. It was the perfect place, with my bedroom and bathroom separate. Plus, I had a laundry and dryer unit upstairs for easy access. It was spacious, with a big enough living room for a set of couches and a coffee table. We also had an island with two chairs, ensuring it was the perfect space for a college student’s first apartment.

Of course, this doesn’t mean living independently is easy, especially for someone who comes from a big family. I always had someone when I came home, probably why dorm life didn’t seem so odd initially. My roommate, Madi, was usually back at our place before I got in, and even if I was alone in the room, it wasn’t for long. It was an adjustment I had to make, but now, a year later, I love living alone and enjoy having moments without disturbances.

It was different from being in the dorms but different from being away from campus. Once every two weeks, I grocery shop to get my essentials to cook my food, rather than getting it from the dining hall. Instead of walking around to get where I needed to go and could get home within twenty minutes of a walk, I had to drive to get back to my apartment. There were some pros and cons to the distance, but at the end of the day, I felt safe at my place.

Rather than depending on people and having negative energy with a potential roommate, I learned to be comfortable with myself. I got used to being alone and understood when I needed space because I could quickly leave and go to my place. If I was too anxious, I had my bedroom and could lock myself inside. Adulting is hard but getting my apartment and living on my own was the best decision ever.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, and Pinterest!

Sophomore at Florida State University, majoring in Nursing. Learning what life is like, while trying to be brave and writing along the way. Follow me on Instagram @a.kkhoja <3