Halloween is just around the corner and you already know what that means…it’s time to start mentally prepping for all the spooky movies! October and fall months are always the best time to catch a new scary movie in theaters and the upcoming ones do not disappoint! Whether you’re a diehard gory film lover, an absolute scaredy-cat or somewhere in between like me, there’s a film out there for you. Here are some of the best upcoming scary movies to give you all the ~spoopy~ vibes.

1. The Lighthouse: Oct. 18

Courtesy: Roger Ebert 

This one is for those of you who are seeking more of a chilling thriller rather than an in-your-face scary movie. The Lighthouse is directed by Robert Eggers, the same man that ruined your sanity and ability to sleep with The Witch. Starring Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe, this film follows two lighthouse keepers on a remote New England island in the 1890s. Watch as they try to keep their calm in the midst of a sinister brewing storm.

2. Doctor Sleep: Nov. 8

Courtesy: IMDb

It’s finally here! For those of you who love a classic horror film, the sequel to The Shining is the movie for you. Doctor Sleep chronicles the story of a now-grown Dan “Danny” Torrence, son of Jack Torrence, you know, that guy who screams “Here’s Johhny,” in The Shining. In this screen adaptation of Stephen King’s novel, Dan is constantly tormented by the literal and metaphorical ghosts of his past and can’t seem to escape them no matter how far he goes. Fans are in for a real treat with this much-anticipated sequel.

3. The Lodge: Nov. 15

Courtesy: Vanyaland

Now, THIS one is not for the faint of heart. The Lodge is a suspenseful, bone-chilling horror film all about one family trip gone horribly wrong. Two children and their new stepmother find themselves alone and trapped in their family cabin when suddenly, all of their worst nightmares seem to materialize before their eyes. Talk about uncomfy! My suggestion is to watch this with a large group of trusted friends and under the safety of a blanket.

4. Little Monsters: Nov. 15

Courtesy: The New York Times

For all of you who might fall more on the scaredy-cat side of the Halloween movie spectrum, this is the perfect film for you. Starring Lupita Nyong’o and Josh Gad, Little Monsters is a refreshing take on the much-overdone zombie movie. Lupita is the cool, calm and quirky kindergarten teacher who must protect her kids during a school field trip that is overrun by zombies. This hilarious movie is sure to give you the creeps but will make you laugh the whole way through.

5. A Quiet Place Part II: March 20, 2020

Courtesy: Cnet

While not much is actually known about the follow-up film to last year’s box office hit, A Quiet Place, it had to be included on this list because too many fans (me) are way too excited for it (me, again). What is confirmed is that John Krasinski has written and directed the film, which began shooting in July of this year. It’s also been confirmed that Emily Blunt, his wife, will reprise her role once again for the much-anticipated sequel. Get ready to be very quiet and very spooked come March 2020!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

I'm a senior from Miami, FL majoring in Public Relations and pursuing a Master's degree in Integrated Marketing Communication. Think of me as the love child of Samantha Jones & Carrie Bradshaw, plus throw in a little Cuban spice.
Her Campus at Florida State University.