A change in seasons means a change in skincare and with winter being just around the corner, that means it is time to be more consistent with your skincare routine. Whether you have dry, oily, combination, or have been blessed with normal skin, you cannot deny the fact that a solid skincare routine is a necessity for surviving these harsh months to come.  

During the winter, you will notice that your skin tends to be drier than normal. This is all due to a decline in humidity levels. The lack of moisture in the atmosphere often leads to cracked lips, cracked hands, and you guessed it… dry skin. The best option to consider combating dry skin this season will be exfoliation.

Courtesy: Total Beauty

While many people implement exfoliating into their facial skin care routine, oftentimes they will forget to exfoliate the rest of their bodies. It is important to always treat the rest of your body with the same amount of care you would your face. Exfoliating your entire body, rather than just your face, gives you a better chance at protecting your skin during the dry season. 

Exfoliating aids in replenishing the skin. Since during the winter, your skin is exposed to different elements, it is easier for skin cells to get dehydrated and eventually die. By exfoliating, you are able to remove the dead skin cells and make room for new cells to come in. Exfoliating will allow moisturizers to better penetrate your skin and rejuvenate the live skin cells. Other benefits include smoother, softer skin, minimizing the appearance of large pores, and the prevention of ingrown hairs. If you can name it, exfoliating can fix it!

Courtesy: Abella Skin Care

There are numerous brands of body scrubs on the market that cater to all different types of skin. However, be mindful of the ingredients listed and cater to your particular skin type. Those with sensitive skin should stick to all natural products. Currently, sugar scrubs are most common for exfoliation. When testing a product, It is best to test on a small portion of your skin and see how your body reacts to it. When exfoliating, you want to make sure that you are moving the scrub onto your skin in soft, circular motions. Being too rough can irritate your skin tremendously, so do take your time.  The type of exfoliator you have, will determine the number of times you should be exfoliating a week.

With the cold winter approaching, the school year in the works, and life being thrown your way, the last thing on anyone’s mind is updating their skincare routine for the next few months, but a girl has to do what a girl has to do. Exfoliate… your skin will thank you in the long run. 

A senior attending Florida State. Double majoring in English and French. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.