Untitled design 9png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Untitled design 9png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Kaitlyn Ringe

Your New Favorite YouTuber: Kaitlyn Films

Her Campus (HC): When and why did you decide to start a YouTube channel?

Kaitlyn Ringe (KR): I initially started my YouTube channel during my freshman year of high school. I posted a little bit throughout high school but never really did anything with it. Last year, my sophomore year of college, is when I started to actively post and find a rhythm. When I was in middle school, beauty gurus and lifestyle YouTubers helped me find my style and gave me an idea of the kind of person I wanted to be. In a way, they were like the big sisters I never had. I wanted to start a YouTube channel to do the same for others, especially with guidance for college. I’m a first-generation college student, so I know what it’s like to know absolutely nothing about what college entails. My mission overall is to help others by giving them life, school and mental health advice as if I’m a friend or a big sister.

HC: How has YouTube impacted your life, whether through making videos or watching them?

KR: I’ve never been someone who has had a “thing” if you know what I mean. I didn’t play sports, an instrument or anything like that, so I felt a little lost. Now that I’m consistent on YouTube it’s definitely my “thing” and my favorite hobby along with journaling. It also helps fund school for me and makes me feel like I have a purpose, so overall, it’s really important to me.

HC: Many of your videos have to do with studying and note-taking, both of which you seem to have mastered. What would you say are your top three note-taking tips?

KR: Haha thank you! My top three note-taking tips would be:

1. Be mindful of your notes. Take your time and try to comprehend what you’re reading, writing, or studying. The more mindful you are throughout the semester, the less time you’ll have to spend cramming for an exam.
  2. Try to find a way to make studying fun. Whether that’s making your notes neat, using cute colors, turning on an aromatherapy diffuser, or listening to your favorite music in the background. Try your best to make it an overall pleasant experience for yourself and you’ll be more likely to enjoy studying in the future.
  3. Make sure to take breaks, stay hydrated and fuel your body. All of these are crucial in [staying] concentrated and fueling your brain to do your best.

HC: How do you motivate yourself to stay organized during the school year (in regard to notetaking, studying, journaling, etc.)?

KR: I try to find organizational apps that are pleasant to use. My favorite app for organization is Evernote. I use the monthly calendar template as my planner and have every big thing due, and to-do, for the semester on it. Also, daily to-do lists can be fun to make and use to keep yourself organized, whether they’re digital or on sticky notes!

HC: You have a journaling account on Instagram, which is super cool (and satisfying)! What advice would you give to someone who wants to delve into the world of journaling?

KR: I have many journals. A daily journal, a brain-dump journal, and an art journal. If you want to get into art journaling, my advice would be to start collecting magazines and art supplies now and grow your collection slowly. Make your art journal fun for yourself and definitely don’t stress on making it perfect. I started by making collages and built up to drawing and conceptualizing journal spreads. My main sources of inspiration are song lyrics/quotes and Pinterest. I usually start with a quote that inspires me and then create a journal spread around that.

HC: How has journaling impacted your life?

KR: I would say that art journaling has given me a therapeutic outlet. It gives me something positive to focus on when I’m stressed or anxious. Daily journaling is the same for me but also helps me reflect on my life and grow from my experiences, which I am so grateful for.

HC: From your experience, what are some beneficial ways of nurturing positive mental health while in college?

KR: I have so much to say about this, but I’ll try to keep it short. The first step is to validate your mental health and the struggles that you have. The second, and most important step, is to get help. It can be scary, but I promise that it is a huge step in getting better. If you don’t have the option to get help, I recommend working on yourself a little bit every day or week and growing from there. I also believe that for some people journaling can be very beneficial for fostering good mental health.

HC: What’s your dream job?

KR: My dream job is to become a veterinarian. Once I become a veterinarian, I plan to own a small doggie daycare and veterinary clinic. With my practice, I plan to raise money to start a nonprofit with the mission to rescue animals that are scheduled to be euthanized, rehabilitate them, and place them in forever homes. Of course, it would also be nice to make YouTube a second career as well!

Be sure to check out Kaitlyn’s videos!

All Photos Courtesy of Kaitlyn Ringe.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Alyce Rogers is a freshman at Florida State University majoring in public relations. She enjoys writing about movies, music, and study tips.
Her Campus at Florida State University.