Your Local Food Crawl: Tallahassee Edition

While Tallahassee is primarily known as home to the Florida State Capitol and the Florida State University, we can’t abandon the fact that it’s also home to some of the greatest local eateries. I know we’re all ballin’ on a budget, but it’s great to treat yourself every once in a while. Whether you choose to admit it or not, I know you’re all sick of consuming flavored ramen and microwaved easy mac. Lucky for us, Tallahassee has something for everyone and at all times of the day. Its food prices, low or high, are worth every penny, too. It’s not like we do this everyday so why not start today? Grab those with an insatiable appetite and make your way through Tallahassee’s greatest food joints with my guide below:

Breakfast and Brunch

1. The Egg Cafe & Eatery

The Egg Café & Eatery is quite the popular brunch spot with southern-style dishes. Enjoy shrimp-n-grits skillet, biscuit and gravy and house bloody Marys. The southern fried potatoes are excellent too, but you can never go wrong with potatoes. Portions are known to be significantly large in size so be sure to save your appetite before dining in. View the menu here!

Courtesy: The Egg Cafe & Eatery

2. The Bada Bean

With décor resembling that of a 1920’s diner, gourmet coffee and a brunch menu unparalleled to anything else, you won’t mind coming back for seconds. The Bada Bean strives to serve fresh food and remain health-conscious by offering ‘Healthy Starts.’ If you have a sweet tooth, I suggest ordering the chocolate chip pancake stack as they come with a tasty cinnamon drizzle on top. Stuff your pancakes with additional toppings and be sure to enjoy every bite. What are calories, right? View the menu here!

Courtesy: Jordana Judson

3. Paisley Cafe

Put on your cutest outfit and head over to Paisley Café for the perfect photo opportunity and some satisfying eats. As you step inside, you’ll come face to face with colorful walls, different colored chairs and soups in mini mug cups. In other words, you’ll feel at home, or at the world’s sweetest tea party. From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., enjoy Shrimp & Grits, Heirloom Benedict and Chorizo Hash, all for less than $20. Located in Midtown, Paisley Café provides high quality ingredients with a high level of amicable customer service. Did I mention they serve their iced coffee in mason jars? You definitely can’t beat that. View the menu here!

Courtesy: Paisley Cafe

4. Madison Social

Notorious for its massive garage doors, Madison Social is the hot spot for all occasions. It’s brunch, however, is one you won’t want to miss. MadSo offers a delectable brunch menu with dishes such as Spiced Honey Chicken & Waffles and The Ranchero. Adjacent to campus, Madison Social is a convenient stop with quite the magnificent view of Doak Campbell Stadium. Grab those who brunch and head over to to MadSo. You’ll thank me later. View the menu here.

Courtesy: Madison Social

Lunch

1. Merv’s Melt Shop

If the word melt doesn’t captivate you from the get-go, something is up. Totally kidding, but seriously, everyone loves a good cheesy sandwich and when it’s gourmet, it’s even better. Using locally baked bread, and fresh, high-quality ingredients, Merv’s offers an array of gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches that you just can’t beat. Make your own melt or choose from one of the many with homemade potato chips on the side. Enjoy delicious soups, melt burgers and tasty desserts as well. The best things in life are brie. Sorry, that was cheesy. View the menu here!

Courtesy: Merv’s Melt Shop

2. Momo’s Pizza

Serving slices “as big as your head,” Momo’s is sure to satisfy all your cheesy needs. Choose from a variety of premium toppings including grilled eggplant, Bradley’s “Hot” Sausage and Cheddar/Monterey Jack Blend. At $4.75 a slice, it’ll be worth every penny and more. As one of Tallahassee’s most distinguished pizzerias, Momo’s is truly an FSU tradition. Be sure to cross this off your bucket list before you go or you’ll regret it later when it is just too late. View the menu here!

Courtesy: Food Spotting

3. Wells Brothers Bar and Grill (Monks)

Home to the greatest tasting burgers in Tallahassee, Wells Brothers has built quite the notable reputation. Build your own burger or choose from a variety of options, both vegetarian and non-vegetarian. The Lip Smacker is its most famous, topped with smoked bacon and cheddar cheese and slathered with creamy peanut butter. How great does this sound? There’s also “The Gator-Hater” burger so you know this is certainly the place to be. View the menu here!

Courtesy: Wells Brothers Bar and Grill

4. Gordos Cuban Cuisine

What is a Tallahassee food crawl without a visit to its most famous staple? In an inviting environment with an outdoor deck, Gordos offers authentic pressed sandwiches and delicious, Cuban entrees. However, it is most known for its “Gordo’s Smash” beverage, or as they call it, the best rum punch in town. Grab some of your closet friends and head over to Gordos. View the menu here!

Courtesy: Gordos

Dinner

1. Masa

I’m going to be biased on this, as Masa is my favorite restaurant in Tallahassee with the greatest tasting sushi you can have. It isn’t a complete trip to Tallahassee for my family if we do not dine here together. In a contemporary, dim-light space, Masa offers seafood galore with a plethora of signature lamb chop, rib eye and tuna steak entrees. The service is excellent, the staff is amicable and it’s in a great new location adjacent to the beautiful Lake Ella. View the menu here!

Courtesy: Masa

2. Kool Beanz Café

Offering quite the eclectic menu in a vibrant, unconventional setting, Kool Beanz café offers an array of gourmet dishes for lunch and dinner. Choose from unique starters including smoky corn-crab cakes, tantalizing, well-priced plates and a variety of “Greens n’ stuff.” At Kool Beanz, it is encouraged to “Eat, Drink and Talk Loud.” This local eatery does not accept reservations so be sure to arrive early as the lines grow quickly. However, it is certainly worth the wait. View the menu here!

Courtesy: Kool Beanz Café

3. Harry’s Seafood Bar and Grille

Harry’s Seafood, Bar & Grille is one of Tallahassee’s most eminent restaurants located just steps from the capitol. Offering a wide variety of appetizing Cajun, creole and southern flavors, Harry’s is the closest you may get to those New Orleans favorites. Its flavors are authentic, its atmosphere is inviting and its location is prime with outdoor seating. View the menu here!

Courtesy: Harry’s Seafood Bar and Grille

Using this list, you’re sure to eat your way through Tallahassee’s best!

Jordana is a recent graduate of The Florida State University with a Bachelor of Science in public relations. She aspires to work in public relations and digital media in New York City. She is well-versed in pop culture, social media management, press release writing and content creation. Originally from Coral Springs, Florida, Jordana enjoys writing, networking and spending time outdoors. On most days, you can find her researching industry trends, Tweeting and scavenging the internet for new music, ODESZA and Beyonce tunes to be specific. Stay in tune with her daily whereabouts via Twitter: @JordanaJudson.   
Her Campus at Florida State University.