Your International Women’s Day Playlist

With International Women’s Day right around the corner (March 8), we have carefully curated a playlist bound to put you in an empowered mood. I was lucky enough to get input from some lovely ladies on what songs make them proud to be a female.

“The Man” by Taylor Swift

While the song is called “The Man,” it certainly does its job in making us women feel like bosses. Hannah Fliess says this is her anthem, “I like that [it addresses] misogyny and [the] beats are really fun and easy to dance to.” Emily Smith also told me this was her go-to girl song. She also says that Taylor Swift singing this song makes the power behind it even stronger. “Taylor Swift is the queen.”

“Dancing Queen” by ABBA

We may not be 17 anymore, this song is a classic! Hearing those lyrics, “You can dance, you can jive. Having the time of your life,” makes me wanna throw on some overalls, curl my hair, and move to Greece with my best friends of course!

“Run the World (Girls)” by Beyoncé

I’m sure many of us have this song flowing through our veins. Laura Markofski says this song succeeds in reminding us to be confident women. “I really like how she emphasizes the word ‘girls.’ By saying it in such a demanding tone of voice, it shows how we should be proud of who we are. We should never ‘fit’ into any social norm and we should always speak up.”

“Formation” by Beyoncé

A friend told me this song “always inspires me to tackle whatever it is I’m not wanting to do (whether that be to go another mile at the gym, start a huge workload, etc.)!” My fabulous editor, Faith Siplin stans Beyoncé as well. “She has so many anthems, “Formation,” “Diva,” the “Flawless/Feeling Myself” mashup from Homecoming: The Live Album. It really depends on the day and the mood I’m in but if I had to pick a song right now it would be the Homecoming version of “Bow Down” or “I Been On.” Just go listen to Beyoncé, y’all!”

Three diverse women posing for a photo together leaning on eachother
Photo by Omar Lopez on Unsplash

“Soulmate” by Lizzo

Melissa Kuntzman expressed genuine admiration for this track from Lizzo. “I love “Soulmate” by Lizzo!! She always reminds me that loving myself first should always be a priority.” The tune focuses on how to be single and independent as she sings “It’s a me, myself kinda attitude.”

“Woman” by Kesha

I hadn’t heard of this song before Jenna Ward mentioned it but it is powerful. I think “Woman” by Kesha is the most empowering to me because the lyrics are so fun and make me feel powerful. “I’m a motherf*ckin woman!”

“Me Too” by Meghan Trainor

This was honestly one of the first songs I thought of when thinking about this article’s theme. Someone told me it, “reminds me to love myself cause I’m awesome and wouldn’t want to be anyone else!”

“I See Stars” by Mean Girls (Original Broadway Cast Recording)

Mikayla Lloyd told me she felt inspired by this showstopping tune. “Cady is basically saying that we’re all strong, beautiful and different. She’s speaking to a crowd so when I listen to it, it makes me feel like she’s talking to me. Especially in a world that likes to pit women against each other, hearing a song that tells me that I could make diamonds dull and reminds me that even if I’m in a rough spot I have people in my corner helps lift me up!”

“Modern Girl” by Sleater-Kinney

Alyson Brinkley was really excited to share this power song, stating, “it talks about doing all of the things that are stereotypically supposed to [make] us happy as a ‘modern woman’ but it’s not all necessarily true.” The repetition of lines like “my baby loves me, I’m so happy” reflects the false notion people have of women. Listening to this song makes us want to get up and show society we are more than the lifeless stereotypes laid out for us.

This Women’s Day Playlist is a compilation of songs loved by some of the fiercest women I know. Some of these songs are ones you’d find on a typical Spotify playlist entitled “International Women’s Day” but some are new songs to me and maybe they’re new to you too. That’s why it’s so important to check in with your ladies about life and beyond. You could learn new things too!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Mary graduated from Florida State University in Spring 2021 with a degree in Editing, Writing & Media. Currently, Mary is attending Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, PA for a Master's in Professional Writing. She is a chocolate milk, peanut butter, and Oxford comma enthusiast.
Her Campus at Florida State University.