Your Guide to Spring Break on a Budget

Your college years are not the time for luxurious travel – embrace it. That being said, if you think your budget looks too tight this year to make the most out of your spring break, think again. Scanning through thousands of websites and apps searching for the best deals can be exhausting, and quite honestly, can quickly bury your excitement about traveling at all. But don’t let this intimidate you. Pack your bags, make a playlist and find a good book because we’ve got everything you need to minimize your costs right here!

Courtesy: Scarlett Callahan

The Frequent Flyer

Maybe you suffer from carsickness, or just cooped-up-in-a-car-with-certain-people-for-too-long sickness. Either way, there are several tricks to make flying more affordable. Sky Scanner seems to be the best website/app for finding cheap flights, though Google Flights is another good option that’s usually in the same ballpark and occasionally even cheaper. Comparing both sites before booking a flight can be extremely beneficial; maybe you only save $20, but maybe you use that $20 to buy the best meal of your life!

Frontier Airlines often offers one-way flights for as low as $30! If you don’t have a particular destination in mind, checking the featured low fares departing from your city may be the way to secure your spring break plans and find adventure in places you’d never expect! 

Courtesy: Frontier Airlines

The Roadtripper

If you’re planning on hitting the open road this spring break, calculating your fuel cost beforehand can help you account for a large chunk of your travel budget. GasBuddy allows you to pick your start and end point and select your car’s make and model to give you the most accurate estimate for your fuel costs. With a full tank you’re ready to go; but you don’t have to simply drive from point A to point B. Roadtrippers will map out your desired route and pinpoint locations of any major attractions, natural wonders, restaurants and accommodations to check out along the way!

Courtesy: Roadtrippers

Accommodations

It’s always cheaper and easier just to visit a friend or family member and bum it out on their couch or maybe even in a guest room. However, if you’re going someplace where this isn’t an option, be sure to check out CouchSurfing and Airbnb. Both sites offer a cheaper and definitely more unique alternative to staying in a hotel: staying in another person’s home! CouchSurfing connects travelers and hosts worldwide to make for cheap, convenient accommodations. Airbnb has options to stay in a private room or apartment rented out by the owner, or with a host in their spare room. While sleeping in a stranger’s home might sound a bit sketchy, don’t worry because both sites require hosts to be verified for safety and most listings offer reviews from previous guests. (Regardless, using the buddy system for arrangements like these is definitely a good idea.) This is a great way to meet generous people who are happy to help you make the best of your time in their city!

Food & Drinks

Avoid being ripped off by checking Thrillist for advice on where to eat and drink and where to find the best deals. Thrillist lists the best happy hour options in town as well as tips for date ideas and entertainment city by city.

Courtesy: Thrillist

Sleep on couches, take flights with no legroom and pack granola bars for lunch. Take any opportunity you can to see new things and meet new people; you never know where these experiences may take you. Maybe once you’ve gotten your degree you’ll fly first class to Bali, but for now make every dollar count and just get out there!

Her Campus at Florida State University.