Your Guide to a Non-Cliché Valentine’s Day

*This article does not represent the views of Her Campus FSU

For many people, especially singles, Valentine’s Day has earned itself a pretty negative connotation. It’s a day for men to express their undying love through copious bouquets of flowers and heart-shaped boxes of chocolates that they picked up at Publix on the way to pick up their girlfriends, who for some reason, continue to encourage this behavior. This may be the ideal for some, but contrary to popular belief, the celebration doesn’t always have to begin and end with dinnertime at a table for two. Whether you’re single, taken or somewhere in-between, take advantage of the wondrous college town that is Tallahassee and be the young, careless hooligan that your parents feared you’d be.

Courtesy: Whatwasisupposedtobedoingagain Blog

Tallahassee is notorious for a few things, one of which is its wide variety of happy hours and lively social spots. Start the day off early at Cantina where you can enjoy an extensive happy hour from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. full of five dollar loaded Coronas, 101 margaritas and three-for-one wells. Similarly, Prime Time offers brunch from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., fully equipped with all-you-can-drink mimosas and a Bloody Mary bar. If you wish to feel good about yourself while making questionable decisions, Madison Social hosts its Social Runners event every Sunday, in which you run three to four miles around downtown Tallahassee or campus and are rightfully compensated with a free carafe of mimosas. It’s okay to have zero chill on holidays (or just because).

Courtesy: The Odyssey Online

Rather sleep in and wait until a more socially acceptable and less frowned upon time? Tally’s still got you covered. Harry’s Bar and Grille hosts happy hour from 2-7 p.m. with three, four and five dollar drinks. Right around that area, 101 Restaurant has a double happy hour from 4-7 p.m. and again from 10:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. For a different vibe, The Mint Lounge is having its Mediterranean Flame event from 7-9 p.m., with a variety of exotic dishes and entertainment. This way you get the best of both worlds – food and the feels without the pressure of a date. Come with your best friend, the whole group, your boo thang or by yourself and socialize. It’s bound to be a good time.

Courtesy: Giphy

If you find that you aren’t in the mood for heavy socializing or staring at one another over a candlelit dinner, no problem. Head out to the theatres to see one of the big name movies including The Choice, How to Be Single, Hail! Caesar, Zoolander 2, Deadpool and Pride, Prejudice and Zombies and let others do the talking. Or opt for an even more casual night and head out to the Civic Center as the Noles take on Miami at the men’s basketball game at 6:30 p.m. Nothing says love more than sweaty men and rivalry.

Courtesy: Imgur

Of course, there are always the typical go-to’s: stroll through the park, sit by Lake Ella or make reservations at a nice restaurant. These are all crowd favorites. However, it is always good to keep in mind your other options. Whether you wake up with a drink in your hand and end up shamefully bar hopping in College town, play adult during actual happy hour, marvel at Channing Tatum’s endless man-beauty or shout ruthless insults from a safe distance at Miami fans, make the most of this Valentine’s Day in any way that you seem fit!

Hope is a Junior double majoring in Media Communication Studies and Sociology. She enjoys listening to music, traveling, and spending time by the pool/beach.
Her Campus at Florida State University.