1. LORAC PRO To-Go Eye and Cheek Palette, $38

2. Too Faced Pretty Rebel Eyeshadow Palette, $46

3. Bobbi Brown Rich Chocolate Eye Palette, $52

4. Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette, $27

5. Benefit Cosmetics World Famous Neutrals in “Most Glamorous Nudes Ever,” $30

6. Revlon CustomEyes Shadow and Liner in “Naturally Glamorous,” $9

There’s nothing like a beautiful brown smoky eye to bring in the fall season. Warm and cool shades of brown give every eye color a unique shape and dimension. These are a few of my favorite palettes (some of which I own, and others I lust for) that supply various brown shades to play up your look, whether you’re going to history class or out for a night at Pot’s.

For a simple and natural daytime look, pat a bright champagne color to the lid and to the brow bone for a highlight with a shader brush. Using a tapered blending brush, dip into a light brown shade and find that natural nook in your eye where the bottom of your brow bone and the top of your eye meet. Blend for a seamless, sculpted eye. Smudge a darker brown shadow along your upper or lower lash line for more definition.

For a nighttime look, using the same method, substitute the bright champagne for a light brown color all over the lid. Take a dark brown color and apply it to the crease. To add some intensity, take a pencil brush and create a v-shape on the outer half of your eye with a black shadow. Blend everything out completely to avoid harsh lines and to create a smoldering look. For a bright-eyed effect, add a bright shimmery champagne color to the inner corners of the eye.

Something I personally like to do before working with powder eye shadows is to use a cream shadow as a base. It locks eye shadows in place to prevent creasing, applies them smoother and enhances their pigmentation. I recommend the Maybelline Color Tattoos in Barely Branded (a shimmering champagne) and Bad to the Bronze (a warm golden brown). You can get these at the drugstore for only $5. 

1. NYX “The Curve” Liquid Liner, $15

2. Stila High Shine Liquid Vinyl Eye Liner, $22

3. Maybelline Eye Studio Master Duo Glossy Liquid Liner, $8

Thick black cat eyes are quintessential for those of you who are more playful and edgy. I think liquid liner is your best bet for this look, mainly because it is easier to create such a precise line with a pen, rather than a pencil or brush for gel liner. “The Curve” liquid liner by NYX is a new, innovative way to create perfect lines for those who struggle with getting that even layer of liner across both eyelids. The Stila High Shine Liquid Vinyl liner is a brand new product this fall, and is marketed to create a shiny, black patent effect across your lids with ultra-awesome staying power. The thin brush lets you draw fine, long strokes with easy application. This way, you can control how thick of a layer you want on each eye. The Maybelline Master Duo may be the cheapest way to go, but nonetheless it also has a unique brush to create your ideal line with the little ball- shaped tip.

Wear a thin cat eye or slightly winged liner with a coat of mascara for an easy daytime look. You’ll be surprised at how much of a difference the winged liner looks with a simple sweater, jeans, and scarf. For the ultimate nighttime look, create a bold cat eye along with some volumizing mascara to open up your eyes and keep a balanced, yet polished look.

Stay tuned for “Part 2” of my official guide to fall beauty trends, featuring rosy cheeks and dark lips!

Alexa is in her junior year here at FSU as an Editing, Writing, and Media major with a Communications minor. She found solace in writing as a form of self-expression and aspires to pursue a career involving media in a journalistic setting. She takes pride in her studies and works hard for her grades. When she has free time, you’ll find her hoarding makeup and handbags, online shopping, on YouTube, or listening to Adam Levine’s angelic voice. She has a fascination with Ernest Hemingway, and hopes to read all of his work someday. She is excited to be working on Her Campus this year as a staff writer, as well as run the Her Campus Facebook page. Come like HC FSU on Facebook to get quick updates on articles that get published to the site.You can also find her on twitter @alexa_please and on Instagram @alexaplease! =)
Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!