Horror movies are a guilty pleasure for many, myself included. They’re just frightening enough to keep us on the edge of our seats, yet we can’t take our eyes away. The last few years have breathed new life into the horror genre, with blockbuster hits like A Quiet Place, Get Out, and Stephen King’s It. Luckily for scary movie lovers, 2020 looks like it’s going to be a big year for thrill-seekers everywhere. If you’re on the hunt for new movies to go see in theaters throughout this upcoming year, keep reading to see four highly-anticipated films.

Saint Maud – In Theaters Apr. 3

A24 already has some phenomenal horror movies under its production belt, including Hereditary, Midsommar, and The Witch. Saint Maud is a new horror flick from the independent studio, taking horror to a more religious theme. The film follows a shy young nurse named Maud who has devoted her life to Christianity following significant trauma. When she begins taking care of a dying cancer patient named Amanda, Maud quickly realizes that she’ll do whatever it takes to save Amanda’s soul from eternal damnation. The movie stars Morfydd Clark and Jennifer Ehle and is slated to be released in the US on Apr. 3.

Antebellum – In Theaters Apr. 24

Antebellum is a film starring Janelle Monae and produced by Sean McKittrick, the same producer behind Get Out and Us. The movie follows a successful author, played by Monae, who finds herself stuck back in time in the Deep South where slavery is still legal. To escape her fate, she must figure out the mystery behind this alternate reality before it’s too late. As of right now, the film has only released teaser trailers so the plot is still very much up in the air. It’s unclear whether we’re in store for something supernatural or psychological, but either way, it’s sure to be a hit.

Spiral – In Theaters May 15

The Saw franchise from James Wan has dominated the horror box office for more than a decade, and this new installment will be the ninth film in the series. Spiral stars Chris Rock and Samuel L. Jackson, and the plot follows two police detectives who take on the investigation of a series of grisly murders. The killings are stunningly similar to that of the city’s past, and as the mystery deepens the detectives find themselves at the center of the killer’s game. The release of this film is highly anticipated after 2017’s Jigsaw, which received mixed reviews among critics and viewers alike.

The Conjuring 3 – In Theaters Sep. 11

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It is the third installment in The Conjuring franchise, based on the real-life events of paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren. The movie follows an actual case that the Warrens were involved in, with a murder suspect arguing that he could not be convicted of the crime due to demonic possession. The film stars Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga, who also starred in the first two installments in the franchise.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

I'm a senior at Florida State University studying Editing, Writing, and Media with a minor in Film Studies and Computer Science. I'm passionate about music, movies, and media!
Her Campus at Florida State University.