Your 2016 Guide to the Top Music Festivals in the Country

Music festival season is upon us! If you’re planning on going to a festival this year but you’re not sure which one, we’ve got you covered. Whether you are looking for a massive event in a big city or something more nature-friendly, our guide will help you find the perfect one so you and your friends can have the music experience of a lifetime! 

Courtesy: Facebook

Okeechobee Music & Arts Festival

March 4-6

Okeechobee, FL

This festival will open its gates in Sunshine Grove, located in Okeechobee, Fla. With its earthy feel and events, it has a similar vibe to Bonnaroo. The lineup includes Mumford & Sons, Kendrick Lamar, Skrillex, Future, Miguel, Bassnectar, Fetty Wap and lots more. The fest comprises artists of all different genres, so chances are that some of your favorites will be performing. Apart from all the music, you can also do some yoga in “Yogachobee” or go for a swim in the hangout zone, “Aquachobee.” If you’re not too run down from the music, you can visit “Jungle 51” which has a dance floor that plays music until the break of dawn. Click here for more information about this festival!

Courtesy: Reset Mag

Ultra Music Festival

March 18-20

Miami, FL

Ultra Music Festival is an annual outdoor electronic fest held in Downtown Miami. This event attracts ravers from all around the world just to party in Miami. It is the world’s premiere EDM festival with about 10 other festivals located worldwide. Performers for this year include Afrojack, Avicii, David Guetta, DJ Snake, and Zedd. For tickets and more information, click here.

Courtesy: Travel Hymns

Coachella

April 15-17 and April 22-24

Indio, CA

Coachella is probably the most highly publicized music festival, located in sunny California. This is where all your favorite celebs are spotted hanging out with their famous friends, usually wearing the best festival looks. This event might be a bit far for us to go visit, but there are always live streams of the performances on YouTube for anyone to enjoy. I remember watching Drake’s set last year at 2 a.m. on my laptop and it felt like I was right there with the audience! The energy of the crowd is like no other. Some of the artists like to bring out surprise guest performers, so watch out for those – remember when Drake brought Madonna out last year?! If you’re able to visit and are interested in going, take a look at their website here. Some of the headliners for this year are Ellie Goulding, Calvin Harris, Guns N’ Roses, Sia, Major Lazer, Flume and Halsey.

Courtesy: Paste Magazine

Shaky Knees Music Fest

May 13-15

Atlanta, GA

Shaky Knees has a great lineup this year including Florence + The Machine, The 1975, Walk The Moon, Young The Giant and The Kills. This festival is great for FSU students because of its location – only about a 4-hour drive from Tallahassee – and the prices are lower than some of the other festivals. Another bonus is that you can get a one-day pass, in case you can only make it to one day or just want to see specific artists. You can buy tickets and find out more info here.

Courtesy: Fest300

The Governors Ball Music Festival

June 3-5

Randall’s Island Park, NY

The lineup for Governors Ball never disappoints! This year, they’re bringing out performers like Kanye West, The Strokes and The Killers. It’s like 2005 all over again. All of the artists that have been announced to perform are amazing – just take a look at the whole lineup here. Another great part of this event is that it’s located in New York, so you can explore the city before and after the festival. There are also after parties hosted by a few celebrities in case you still want to party after the festival is over for the night. However, you will need to find a place to stay since camping is not offered, but you can always find an affordable place at Airbnb. For more information and tickets, check out the Governors Ball website!

Courtesy: Raver Rafting

Bonnaroo

June 9-12

Manchester, TN

This is Bonnaroo’s 15th anniversary and they are celebrating “15 Years of Magic.” The lineup includes Pearl Jam, Ellie Goulding, J. Cole, M83, Halsey, Chvrches, Tame Impala, Haim and more. People from all around the country flock to Bonnaroo to enjoy the music and fresh air. It’s also fun to make new friends for the weekend. Apart from all the music, Bonnaroo also has comedy shows, art and The Fountain (one of the festival’s most iconic structures) where you can cool off from the hot Tennessee sun. Bonnaroo has an endless list of activities and information. To look over all of their info and festival tips, check out their website!

Courtesy: Festival Snobs

Lollapalooza

July 28-31

Chicago, IL

Another festival celebrating an anniversary this year is Lollapalooza! This is Lolla’s 25th Anniversary and they are celebrating with a 4-day weekend instead of their usual 3-day weekend. The lineup hasn’t been announced yet, but we know that it will be a fantastic one. Last year’s lineup included Paul McCartney, Sam Smith, Florence + the Machine and The Weeknd! Rumors suggest that Radiohead will be headlining, as well as Kanye West. Lollapalooza is located in Chicago’s beautiful Grant Park, featuring more than 170 musical performances over four days. They offer four-day General Admission tickets as well as single-day General Admission tickets. For more information and to keep up with lineup announcements, check out the Lollapalooza website!

Anacarla is currently attending her last year at Florida State. Can't live without coffee and her dog. You can follow her on Twitter at @anacarlasanchez
Her Campus at Florida State University.