Amy Winehouse’s Upcoming Biopic Is Taking Fans ‘Back to Black’

In 2007, 23-year-old Amy Winehouse sat down for an interview with CNN. She had just released Back to Black the year before, an album she won five Grammy awards for. She spoke about a tumultuous past relationship, her youth, and the meaning behind her latest album. In this interview, Winehouse stated, “I don’t write songs because I want my voice to be heard — because I want to be famous, or any of that stuff — I write songs about things, problems that I have to get past, and I have to make something good out of something bad.”

Singing as a jazz vocalist but making music in the style of pop and soul, Winehouse became a household name in the mid-2000s. From her iconic look of thick winged eyeliner and a beehive hairstyle to her shockingly powerful vocals, she captivated millions throughout the world. Winehouse’s presence began to be known outside her hometown of London as she quickly gained international traction.

Winehouse lived a short and tragic life, losing her battle with addiction in 2011 at the age of 27. Back to Black returned to the top of the charts. The unforgettable singer’s legacy was cemented, and her importance in the music industry would prove itself long into the future, paving the way for upcoming female singers like Adele.

In the present day, an Amy Winehouse biopic named after the singer’s most successful album has been announced. Set to release in May 2024, the film promises to encapsulate Winehouse’s life and legacy. 

The Biopic Trend

In recent years, the film industry has been booming with biopics (movies about the lives of public figures), especially those about musicians. Biopics centered around famous musicians such as Elvis, Freddie Mercury of Queen, and Elton John have been box office hits throughout the last six years. Biopics serve both as biographies and as musical celebrations, and they have been taking cinema by storm. However, is everyone a fan?

Biopics have come under controversy just as much as they have gained adoration. Many critics accuse these films of misrepresenting the artist they are supposed to portray. The accuracy of the artist’s life story is often heavily questioned, due to biopics only having two or three hours of storytelling time. Certain critiques are raised about whether the actors even deserve to play the part of the singer.

What we know about Back to Black

In the upcoming biopic, Amy Winehouse will be played by Marisa Abela, known for her roles in TV series such as Cobra and Industry. Abela will also cover Winehouse’s songs throughout the film, choosing to sing them herself. 

The biopic’s director, Sam Taylor-Johnson, was a close friend of Winehouse. The film is also supported by Winehouse’s estate, leading to close friends and family being in proximity to the project. Many fans worry that Winehouse’s legacy might be ruined by this biopic, instead wishing that the stories told about her life could be left to her poetry and personal statements. Some, on the other hand, are happy to see a depiction of Winehouse and her music in theatres.

Though extremely popular in recent years, the ethicality of biopics has been debated, and Back to Black is no exception. Mixed opinions surround the announcement of this film, its cast, and whether or not it will be acclaimed. Do you think this upcoming film will be a good representation of Winehouse, her artistry, and her struggles? 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hi! I'm Gabby, a junior at FSU studying clinical psychology and English. I'm passionate about mental health, wellness, fashion, food, and music, to name a few things.