Life > Experiences

XOXO: How To Write the Cutest Valentines for Your Friends

It’s the early 2000s. You’re walking through the hallowed halls of your local Party City in search of High School Musical-themed valentines to hand out to your classmates tomorrow. You catch a glimpse of Troy and Gabriella and excitedly make your way to the register. You rush home to scribble each of your classmates’ names in red marker on the cards that display the characters you feel best to represent their personalities. You finish the night by taping sickeningly sweet lollipops to the valentines and drop them in the tinted cellophane-wrapped shoebox you spent all morning designing. Tomorrow, your friends will fill it with their own cards and candies.

Valentine’s Day celebrations growing up were extremely rare after elementary school. As an avid lover of this Hallmark holiday, I decided to reintroduce that V-Day cheer to my life by writing valentines to my friends. I began this tradition last year. I handed out personalized letters and bags of chocolate to my closest friends throughout the school day. I felt so happy seeing their eyes light up at the unexpected surprise! It’s the little things that make the holiday so special.

Tea, Roses, and Pretty Letters
Photo by Carolyn V from Unsplash
The excitement of exchanging valentines on Valentine’s Day shouldn’t be limited to kindergarten nostalgia. Here’s a step-by-step guide to writing the cutest valentines for your friends this year.

Step 1: Pick your paper.

What kind of paper are you going to use? If you’d like to feel like you’re in the 1800s writing a letter by candlelight a la Bridgerton, parchment will add a romantic, vintage aura to your valentine (bonus points if you actually write it by candlelight). A piece of printer paper glued onto a pink or red sheet of construction paper is a ridiculously easy letter-writing base that will make it look like you put a lot more effort into its creation than you actually did. Last year, I printed out funny Tumblr valentines that were popular circa 2014 and wrote on the blank sides.

Step 2: Pick your pen.

This doesn’t literally mean that you have to write your notes in pen. Now’s the time to bust out your prized feather quill and ink bottle if you have them. Mildliners and other markers are a fun way to add life and personality to your valentines. You can also try your hand at brush fonts or calligraphy fonts. Font generator websites allow you to input your message and see what it looks like in different handwriting styles. Use these as a guide to add a beautiful, polished feel to your valentines.

Step 3: Determine what kind of letter you’re writing.

This will vary based on your personality, the recipient’s personality, and your relationship. You could write an overly dramatic Jane Austen-like letter, a series of funny limericks, or keep it short and sweet.

Step 4: Write your letter.

The content of your valentine is completely up to you! Since it’s a day that celebrates love, I would definitely advise including some kind of heartfelt message saying how much you appreciate their friendship. If you’re writing in a funny tone, this will work best as a postscript.

Step 5: Decorate it and add extras!

Draw some cute doodles in the margins and go all out with heart-shaped stickers. You could also squeeze fun-sized packets of candy in the envelope, sprinkle in heart-shaped confetti, develop Polaroids of the two of you, or even pick flowers for an extra pretty touch.

Step 6: Send your valentine.

Seal your envelope with a sticker or real wax if you’re feeling fancy. Sending it through the post office is best if you want to get the full experience. We rarely receive physical mail; it’ll make your friend’s day to get a letter with their name on it!

Don’t worry if your valentine doesn’t turn out perfectly. At the end of the day, it’s the thought that counts. Cherish the ones you love and show them you care. When they open their mailbox on Feb. 14, they’ll experience that kindergarten rush all over again.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Fabiana Beuses is a senior at Florida State University double majoring in Media/Communication Studies and English (Editing, Writing, and Media). She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at FSU. She previously served as Her Campus' Summer 2023 Entertainment & Culture Intern and is currently a National Culture Writer, where she profiles celebrities and professionally fangirls over pop culture phenomena. When she's not polishing her latest article, you can find her browsing bookstore aisles, taste testing vanilla lattes around town, or rewatching the Harry Potter series for the millionth time.