If you clicked on this article, that means this message was meant to find you. The cards show that your future holds great fortune: creativity will flow your way, and a project you’ve been putting off will finally–

No, I’m absolutely messing with you. There’s no actual way to tell someone’s fortune through an article on the Internet. Sorry to break it to you. However, a hobby that I picked up in the Great Quarantine of 2020 was reading tarot cards, which believe it or not, requires a lot of time and research to actually learn how to read. During my research, I’ve uncovered a handful of misconceptions and myths surrounding the practice that, when you take a step back and look at them, are pretty ridiculous. So let’s uncover the five biggest misconceptions of reading tarot cards:

1. You Have to Be Psychic to Read Tarot

A common misconception about tarot is the idea that you have to be a psychic in order to give a reading. Anyone can learn the art of reading tarot cards. For example, I am sure not a psychic; I’ve never had those weird dreams that strangely come true a few weeks later or gotten a hunch that someone was going to knock on my door seconds before I heard it. The closest I’ve ever come is getting a song stuck in my head before my fiancée starts singing it. So, no, I didn’t pick up tarot because I thought I was psychic—I was just interested in it. That’s all it takes to learn how to read tarot: an interest and a bit of intuition.

2. Tarot Cards are Evil or Satanic

cards and stationary with magnifying glass
Photo by Melissa Constandse

People who wish to see evil will see evil. The devil, much like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, but evil plays no role when it comes to reading tarot. The idea that tarot cards are Satanic is particularly ridiculous, considering tarot cards were used in the Bible and have been used by religions all across the globe. Using a tarot deck certainly does not mean you’re selling your soul to eternal d*mnation, so don’t worry.

3. Tarot Cards Predict the Future

Probably the most common misconception about tarot is the idea that the cards predict your future. We have all heard the saying, “The future isn’t set in stone,” and it’s true, even in the case of “magical” cards that people give more power than they actually hold. No, the tarot cards do not predict your future. What they do is give you insight into your own thoughts and your situation. They absolutely do not tell you what’s going to happen, but they can give you a different perspective into a situation or a problem, or simply give you a better understanding of yourself.

4. There Are Good Cards and Bad Cards

There are no good cards or bad cards in tarot. It’s a very common myth that leads many people to be afraid when they pull a card that looks scary on the outside without understanding its meaning. Even cards such as Death and The Devil, ones that sound like they would predict something awful happening, aren’t bad cards. In fact, Death does not actually mean death; it means the ending of a chapter in your life, and new beginnings. The cards are a method of communication that are open to interpretation. While there are some cards that may point to hard times coming or something that you need to break away from, what matters is how you understand them and how you move forward.

5. Tarot Readings Are 100 Percent Accurate

Like I said before, the cards are up for interpretation. It’s possible to get a reading from the most highly rated, acclaimed reader in the world and it still will not be 100 percent accurate because, again, nothing is set in stone. Every card and every reading are up for interpretation, and every outcome can be changed depending on what decisions you make within your life. The meanings of the cards can change depending on who’s looking for the answer. And besides, if you don’t like what your reader sees, you can use it as an opportunity to make some changes.

Whether you pick up tarot cards because you actually want to become a professional reader or if, like me, you just found them interesting and wanted to learn more, it really doesn’t make a difference in your readings. The only requirement to reading tarot is to have an intuition and a willingness to learn. And if you do pick up the cards, they can be a little scary sometimes, so remember: You hold control over your future, not some ink on cardstock.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

I am a Creative Writing major studying at Florida State University. I have loved writing all kinds of genres since I was ten years old, and that passion has only grown over the last eleven years. Aside from writing, my passions also include drawing, painting, and cuddling my cat, Mason.
Her Campus at Florida State University.