‘Wizards of Waverly Place’ Spinoff Confirmed: Here’s Why I’m Excited

If you’re anything like me, you were also raised on 2000s Disney sitcoms. From The Suite Life of Zack and Cody to That’s So Raven, there was certainly no shortage of catchy opening themes and cheesy one-liners. However, there was one show in particular that especially resonated with me as a child: Wizards of Waverly Place

For those who are unfamiliar with the show, Wizards of Waverly Place is a Disney sitcom that takes place in Manhattan, revolving around the lives of the Russo family. The show focuses on Alex Russo as she tackles life with her magical powers alongside her brothers, Justin and Max.

Wizards of Waverly Place presented various themes throughout the show such as family, friendship, and adolescence. All of these were relevant to me in some way, whether it related to a value I held or if it was something I was going through in my personal life. This show felt safe and comfortable to me in that way, as it did for a lot of Gen Z.

Luckily for us Waverly Place lovers, it was just announced that Disney ordered a pilot for a sequel to the show, starring David Henrie (as Justin Russo)! 

The new sequel is said to be about David Henrie’s character, the eldest Russo sibling, and how he takes on the duality of his family and his personal, magical life. One of my favorite things about this is that it makes us feel like the characters are growing up with us. As we, Gen Z, grow up, so do the characters, making the show just as relatable to us now as it was when we were younger. Family and friendship are two typical ideals that we begin to build relationships and connect with as children. As we age, we have to learn to take on more “adult” tasks and learn to engage in the real world. I feel that this is represented in Wizards of Waverly Place, the original show, catering to our child-like values and the sequel being more appealing to us as adults. 

Since the announcement, social media has allowed us to connect and discuss the sequel, where thousands have been able to share excitement for the new series! Lots of people have mentioned how they are looking forward to the iCarly-like sequel, where we can get to know these characters in their adult lives. 

There has also been discussion on how the original characters, if any, will be incorporated into the new series. The sequel announcement along with the existence of the Wizards of Waverly Pod, a podcast hosted by Jennifer Stone and David DeLuise (both known for their iconic roles in Wizards of Waverly Place), has made fans question how many of the original characters will be coming back. David Henrie confirmed that they plan to bring in more of the original cast. I am personally hoping to see Harper in the sequel with another legendary outfit (if you know, you know). 

Bringing back original characters is an expectation that many fans hold when sequels, prequels, or some other spin-off from original shows are announced. In some ways, I believe it’s because we enjoy seeing extensions and further content from the characters we already love. I’m looking forward to seeing Selena Gomez appear in the new series for this reason. 

Alex Russo is one of the protagonists of the original show. Seeing her again in the sequel’s pilot will provide me with some form of closure, in a way. There’s no word yet on whether Gomez will be in the entire series. However, seeing that Alex Russo’s character has grown and transformed provides older me with comfort knowing that aging is an inevitable, normal part of life. 

Furthermore, as we all grow into adulthood, we inescapably have to make tough decisions. I’m looking forward to seeing how Disney navigates this through the lens of Justin Russo. Between his family and his magical powers, he has to make a tough decision about how he chooses to balance these. 

I, as well as many others, am very excited to see the pilot episode for the sequel. As a sucker for 2000s Disney sitcoms, I’m hoping this sequel will satisfy my nostalgia for the original show. Although nothing can beat the original opening theme, “Everything Is Not as It Seems,” I can’t wait to see how the sequel compares to the original.

All that being said, just know that if you need me whenever the sequel airs, I’ll be busy!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Anna Strickland is a Staff Writer for the Her Campus FSU chapter. Beyond Her Campus, she is a sophomore studying Psychology at Florida State University. In her free time, Anna enjoys reading, journaling, going on walks, listening to music and podcasts, driving, and exploring! She is super excited to be a part of Her Campus!