The Winners and Losers of the 2019 Emmy Awards

The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards aired Sep. 22 on Fox, and the award show was filled with moments of predictability and complete shock by fans and attendees alike. 

HBO led the pack with a grand total of 32 total nominations and nine total wins, most notably their hit television series Game of Thrones won for Outstanding Drama Series. Peter Dinklage, who played Tyrion Lannister in the hit show, won Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series. The cast took an iconic selfie to commemorate their wins, nominations and completion of the eight season show after accepting their awards. 

Courtesy: Us Weekly

To the surprise of many viewers, Fleabag won Outstanding Comedy Series, rising above Schitt’s Creek and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and also took home three other awards. Jodie Comer, Killing Eve star, beat out Emilia Clarke – Game of Thrones actress who was nominated four times prior for this category and never won – for the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series categoryMany Game of Thrones fans took to Twitter to express their disapproval, saying that Clarke was well deserving of the award. To her feet’s dismay, Clarke danced in celebration at the afterparties anyway.

Courtesy: Emilia Clarke’s Instagram

Billy Porter, known for his eccentric personality and wild red-carpet ensembles, made Emmy history Sunday night by being the first openly gay black man to win Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series for his role in Pose,a FX show about people of color and members of the LGBTQ+ community within the New York drag scene. Upon his arrival to claim his award, Porter exclaimed, “The category is love, y’all, love!” During his acceptance speech, Porter described his struggle to rise the top and his journey of self-love. Similarly, RuPaul’s Drag Race won Best Competition Program.  

Courtesy: dlisted

The audience and viewers were emotionally moved by some of the acceptance speeches throughout the night, like The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel star Alex Borstein’s speech after accepting her win for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series. Borstein spoke about her grandmother’s resilience during the Holocaust. Borstein said, “My grandmother turned to a guard —she was in line to be shot into a pit and she said ‘what happens if I step out of line?’ and he said ‘I don’t have the heart to shoot you but somebody will’ and she stepped out of line.” Borstein accredited her accomplishment to the strength of her family members and the rest of the Mrs. Maisel crew, encouraging women everywhere to “step out of line.” 

Courtesy: USA Today

In the genre of late-night television, Saturday Night Live came out on top in the Best Director for a Variety Series and Best Variety Sketch Series categories. Last Week Tonight with John Oliver won the Best Variety Talk Series and Best Writing for a Variety Series categories, beating out James Corden, Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Kimmel’s late-night shows. This came as a shock to many night-owl viewers because the ratings for John Oliver’s show are lower than his counterparts. 

Despite having no host for the Emmy Awards this year, it was the biggest night for television and many fans were excited for their favorite shows and casts to win big.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Tatum is a Junior Editing, Writing and Media student at Florida State University. When she's not writing for Her Campus FSU, she's probably playing with dogs, scrolling through Instagram, or drinking an iced coffee.
Her Campus at Florida State University.